Need help with setting up Remote Connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TTR, Apr 26, 2010.

1. TTR macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need some help / guidance in setting up a remote connection on my OSX (10.6) based machine.

Here is the scenario:

I have 2 users on my desktop: user1 and user2

User1 is always logged in and I don't want any remote access for it. But I want to enable remote access for only, user2. (It should work even if user1 is logged in and it should not affect him)

I tried default VNC option, but it basically opens up user1 screen and affects his work.

I also tried Apple Remote Desktop but could not figure out the way.

Can anyone tell me, if it is possible to setup remote desktop as per my requirements?

Thanks

P.S. I am trying to connect to OSX from a windows machine.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

OS X is Unix. Unix was designed for multiple users doing things simultaneously on one machine. Apple does not make this a priority, hence they base screen sharing on vnc. When you try to "screen share" to a Mac from any machine, whether it's windows, OS X or Linux, you get to see whatever the person sitting there sees. You could, however log in using SSH. SSH is a way to run a remote shell and do things from the terminal and you can SSH as a different user than the guy sitting at the keyboard.

On a Linux machine, this is no big deal. You could run an "x server" on your windows machine, start a graphical process from terminal, such as Openoffice.org and the process would be running on the linux box but all the graphics would be sent over the network to your machine running the "x server". Apple does not support this at this time. So if you want to log in and run Photoshop CS remotely, the graphics go to the screen of the guy sitting there.

What is it you want to be able to do from the Mac? If it's stuff that can be done from the command line, you're all set. If it's graphical stuff, you might be better off finding an old windows box and installing Linux on it. You could then run apps remotely and have their graphics displayed on your windows box.

hope this helps...

3. TTR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch for the reply..

This is what my purpose is..

Our designer works on OSX and rest of the people work on Windows machine.. We need to test work done by the coders on OSX, so wanted to setup a way, where coders can directly login remotely to OSX from windows and test out the things..

but like you said, I guess, it won't be possible..