Need help with shsh

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by detronic, Sep 16, 2010.

1. detronic macrumors member

In tinyumbrella I have 4.0.1, 4.0.2 & 4.1 . I am trying to go from 4.1 which is what I have now to 4.0.1 which I have saved on cydia server and which tinyumbrella show me that I have on my local drive. I been doing everything the way the directions are telling me, I have iPhone 4 and running win7 with iTunes 10.
    When I save my shsh blobs and I start the tinyumbrella server, the file is saved as a exmpl.shsh , however when I go to iTunes and hit shift+restore and the shsh local directory opens, it's not seeing the shsh file, it is asking to open a different format file,
    Long story short, tinyumbrella is saving my 4.0.1 as a .shsh file which I can not open with iTunes ten to restore my phone, can someone tell me what I am doing wrong, thank you in advance,

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You don't need to open the shsh file. You merely start the tss server, ensure it is running on port 80 without issue, and then shift restore to downgrade to the firmware that you have an shsh for.

3. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

You need to point iTunes or the TSS server at the 4.0.1 IPSW file for the downgrade to work. You must have that downloaded on your computer to restore. The authentication with the hashes is all done in the background.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

5. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Yes, but since OP is struggling, I tried to make it a little clearer.

6. detronic thread starter macrumors member

Wow, so that's it hum, lol and I am trying to do it the hard way, lol, thank you very much

PS: and to make sure the server is running ok on port 80 is to see that there is no error massage right?As long as the server say it's running ok that I am ready to restore right?

Ps: one last question,
    I am getting a new iPhone 4, can I use the shsh blobs from my old iPhone 4 to downgrade the new iPhone 4,

Thank you in advance, you guys are great help and make a huge difference, in a complicated world, lol

7. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

I'm not a mod or anything, BUT it seems a whole lot of people are posting threads about SHSH. I feel like there should be a STICKY on this subject:apple:

8. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Nope, hashes are device specific, not universal. If so, all this hashes thing would be worthless as a protection strategy.

9. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

is there a repository i need to add to get tinyumbrella.....I did a search yesterday and it could not be found in cydia??

10. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Google TinyUmbrella.
    It runs on Mac/PC, not on the iPhone.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Tiny Umbrella is a Desktop App.

@OP - there have been some reports of Win 64 giving some issues with the TSS server, just so you are aware of it in case you are running 64-bits.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

TinyUmbrella is just one way to do this. If you are having trouble with it, here is another:

1. Make sure your device has an iOS 4.0 or 4.0.1 SHSH saved on the Cydia server. You can do this by opening Cydia and looking at the top of the home screen just below where it says "Home - Cydia". If yes, then proceed to the next step.

2. Download the firmware for your device to your computer from here:

http://ios.e-lite.org/

For example, if you have an iPhone 4 and an SHSH for iOS 4.0.1, click on the text "historical (click to expand)" at the bottom of the page and download the iPhone 4 "4.0.1 (8A306)" firmware.

3. Edit the hosts file on your computer (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X)) and add this line to the end of it:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

4. Open iTunes, select your iPhone in the device list, then hold shift (option for Mac) and click restore. Locate and "Choose" the firmware you download in step 2 and click on "Restore".

If you performed all the steps correctly, iTunes will now restore your iPhone to the version of firmware selected in step 2.

S-

13. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Tiny Umbrella also has the added advantages of being able to block the baseband firmware update that normally happens during an upgrade (doesn't apply, obviously, if you're downgrading), and has a quick-n-easy button for kicking a device out of recovery mode, which can sometimes happen during a restore upgrade/downgrade.

14. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Currently, the baseband blocking feature only works for iphone 4

15. detronic thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone and especially sidewinder, I have tried tinyumbrella for two days without any success, i did your method and it worked, thank you

16. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You're welcome!

Don't forget to delete that line from your hosts file. It is better to have to remember to add it back that to leave it that way.

S-

17. detronic thread starter macrumors member

hey just wondering what happen if you don't take it out

18. dr bishop macrumors member

Can I keep my baseband without any shsh record while upgrading to 4.1 from 4.0.2 ? (when 4.1 jb come out)

19. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Hashes are not needed to upgrade to current firmware, but you should be saving your hashes. The baseband protection is iPhone 4 only.

20. richmonddjs macrumors member

I keep getting could not restore. Firmware file not compatible.