Need help with Smartphone choice, please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adokimus, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I need to get a new phone this weekend (my folks are finally giving me the boot from the family plan). I'm going to go with a smartphone for the first time.

What I would like:
    - fast, usable browser
    - good email support w/ push email
    - turn-by-turn gps navigation (apps or native)
    - good audio/video
    - internet tethering (not crucial)
    - Good data coverage
    - Connects easily with a mac

My narrowed down choices:
    - iPhone
    - Motorola Droid
    - Palm Pre
    - Blackberry Storm 2
    - HTC HD2 (win-mo)

Any personal experiences with any of these phones that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I know the droid isn't out til Friday, but maybe someone's used the G1? And with HTC, maybe you've owned a Hero? All phones will end up costing me around the same, except the Blackberry, which would be much cheaper because of my work discount. What are your experiences/advice?

2. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Well personally the BEST phone on market will be the HD2...but that won't be available until 2010 in the US, though its available this month elsewhere.

Sure it runs WinMo 6.5, but HTC has heavily skinned the OS to the point where you won't recognize it.

I wouldn't even consider the Pre or the Storm 2 personally. Not that the Pre is a bad phone, I just don't think its on the same level all around as the other phones you listed.

But you have a ton of variables to choose from...network vs. cost is a big one. I'd suggest looking at coverage, plans/rates, and then go to phone offerings. The short version...

HD2 - best all around
    iPhone - its intuitive, and if jailbroken its the best phone period
    Droid - great phone, not so hot media capabilities, but if you use Google stuff like Gmail, calender, etc. you can't beat Android.

3. martynmc7 macrumors regular

I love the Palm Pre, the WebOS is a probably the best mobile OS I've ever seen next to the iPhone OS (was never keen on Android). For proper multitasking there is no better.

However, it's still not quite there, the Pre has the same internals as the 3GS, but is noticeably more sluggish due to the fact that the GPU isn't even being used in the OS. Palm have promised to resolve this soon, and after they have the OS will be lightening fast and developers should have an API for 3D in their hands to start filling up that app catalogue. Couple this with Flash support coming next year and the Pre is certainly my phone of choice to keep an eye on.

After saying all that, I would say that the iPhone is the safe choice (and you know your experience will be great) and the Pre is more of the left-field underdog choice. In my eyes they are both worthy smartphones, but definitely try and give a Pre a go (and bear in mind that any slow-down is being resolved with the GPU as we speak).

Haven't had much experience with any of the others, but it may be worth checking out Engadget's reviews as well.

4. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Thanks for the help so far. Does anyone else have any experiences with the Pre, android, or win-mo on an HTC?