Need help with Snow Leopard upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i-sidd, Jan 24, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

My wife will be getting the iphone 4 soon and I just found out that the iphone 4 can't be used with my current Tiger 10.4.11. So now I have to upgrade my OSX
    to SL.

As I said I have tiger 10.4.11 on my macbook, 2GHz inter core duo, 2GB memory.

I am not very good at this but can I buy the $29 SL disk and do a fresh install. How easy or difficult is a fresh install. I am a noob and feel like I will screw something up. Should I go to a professional store and pay them to install the operating system for me.

Its a refurbished macbook, so I don't have the Tiger OSX dvd incase something goes wrong to restore back to.

Kindly help me........is there a step by step instruction on how to do this.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

29$ OS X 10.6 works fine

Hi,
    the $29 install works fine with a fresh install and is the same DVD as the one in the "Box Set"... you should buy the iLife'11 for $79 because 10.6 needs some of those resources and you will more than likely need the updated software.

Just do the upgrade from 10.4.x BUT PLEASE do yourself a favor and do a backup first. (Drag your home folder to an external drive) Then you can use that same drive as your Time Machine Backup once you are on 10.6 and have completed your updates to 10.6.6 etc...

WW

4. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

So under users, I have my home button which I transferred to my external drive. It shows as 27.59 GB.

Will this home include music and pics. What about the apps, do I have to copy them separately.

Thanks for the instructions link, but I am a little confused, Do I just put the SL disk in my macbook and follow the instructions on the screen. Will i be able to buy that dvd from an apple store?

What if I don't buy the ilife 11 now and buy it later, will SL include itunes, iphoto etc.

Sorry for these noob questions

5. simsaladimbamba

1. It will include everything in your home directory (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU), which includes the Desktop, Music and Pictures folder, and if you used the folders in your home directory to store your files (music, pictures, movies, ...), then copying that home directory will backup the files you want.
    Applications you use normally go into the Applications folder on Macintosh HD, which is outside your home directory, thus copying the home directory will not backup your applications. In order to do so, you need to copy the Applications folder too.
    The link I gave will erase the current contents and do a fresh installation of Mac OS X, but if you just pop in the 29 USD DVD and do a normal installation, nothing will be deleted, except some redundant system files not being important.

2. Yes and yes, even other stores have them.

3. You can buy iLife anytime you want. Know, that a Clean Install will delete iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb, iDVD, Garage Band) from the Mac too, therefore you need the second grey Restore DVD coming with your Mac to install iLife again if you don't want to buy iLife '11.
    iTunes will include iTunes and more: www.apple.com/macosx

6. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I don't necessarily have to do a clean install. i can just pop in the dvd and install SL on top of Tiger? correct.

If this us possible then great I will buy the dvd today or tomorrow and get it done. I don't have the restore dvd so if I do clean install I will loose iphoto, itunes, garageband etc. but not if i install SL on to of Tiger. Did I get this part correct.

Thanks so much

7. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

urgent!!!

One last question before I install SL. if I install SL over tiger, will me itunes and iphoto garage band still be there? Please reply

Should I get $29 SL dvd or the one with ilife for $129. i don't want to spend teh extra $$$.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No, it wont erase any of your music. It is simply an upgrade, not a reinstall. I would just buy the iLife apps you want from the app store once you install SL