need help with specs for recording setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by angrynrdrckr, Jan 16, 2008.

1. angrynrdrckr macrumors newbie

angrynrdrckr

I'm looking to set up a digital studio running pro tools m-powered 7.0 and ableton live 5.0. there are so many options these days, between mac books, mac book pros, and imacs that i can't really decide what's necessary and what's not.

i know that i will be buying 4 gb worth of ram from a 3rd party. that's a given. it's a given because i need that much ram to run midi / plugins on protools, and it's also a given because apple charges a premium for ram that qualifies you as insane if you actually purchase upgraded memory from them.

but what about processor speeds? is a 2.2 ghz macbook "just enough"? or is it actually good enough for what i'll be doing? what's the difference between a 2.2 ghz and a 2.4 ghz processor in terms of audio-heavy programs like pro tools? what about the 2.8 ghz core extreme? is it that much better?

as far as the hard drive, i know that i'm supposed to have one that spins @ 7200 rpm. macbook doesn't offer this. MBP and iMac do. but what about if i install a 32gb SSD into a MB or MBP simply to run programs from and save all the audio and other files to a 500 gb time capsule / external drive? would that be better than simply using the 7200-rpm imac (or upgraded MBP) drive? or does it not make a big difference?

so, the main questions here:

1. 2.2, 2.4, or 2.8 ghz? core 2 duo or extreme?
    2. 7200-rpm MBP/imac hard drive or SSD in MB/MBP?
    3. MB, MBP or imac?

any help is appreciated. thanks.

2. grame macrumors member

i would post your question here: http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/postlist.php?Board=MacMus

i use a macbook with 4gb and logic for recording. as far as i know pro tools isnt working wit leopard which comes preinstalled on new macs.

in terms of pure power the higher speed desktop machines will do the most. but depending on what you want to run, all of the current processors (2gb upwards) should be fine. the faster hard drive will be useful when recording and playing back large numbers of audio tracks. laptops are best if you want portability - pure grunt then the desktop machines. the imacs make a good inbetween choice. not sure about SD drives thought...

3. angrynrdrckr thread starter macrumors newbie

angrynrdrckr

i have heard that too about leopard, but i'm fairly certain that all i need to do is partition my internal drive and install a copy of tiger on it... in that case, i would make that partition just big enough to fit tiger, ableton live, and pro tools.