need help with specs for recording setup!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by angrynrdrckr, Jan 16, 2008.

1. angrynrdrckr macrumors newbie

angrynrdrckr

I'm looking to set up a digital studio running pro tools m-powered 7.0 and ableton live 5.0. there are so many options these days, between mac books, mac book pros, and imacs that i can't really decide what's necessary and what's not.

i know that i will be buying 4 gb worth of ram from a 3rd party. that's a given. it's a given because i need that much ram to run midi / plugins on protools, and it's also a given because apple charges a premium for ram that qualifies you as insane if you actually purchase upgraded memory from them.

but what about processor speeds? is a 2.2 ghz macbook "just enough"? or is it actually good enough for what i'll be doing? what's the difference between a 2.2 ghz and a 2.4 ghz processor in terms of audio-heavy programs like pro tools? what about the 2.8 ghz core extreme? is it that much better?

as far as the hard drive, i know that i'm supposed to have one that spins @ 7200 rpm. macbook doesn't offer this. MBP and iMac do. but what about if i install a 32gb SSD into a MB or MBP simply to run programs from and save all the audio and other files to a 500 gb time capsule / external drive? would that be better than simply using the 7200-rpm imac (or upgraded MBP) drive? or does it not make a big difference?

so, the main questions here:

1. 2.2, 2.4, or 2.8 ghz? core 2 duo or extreme?
    2. 7200-rpm MBP/imac hard drive or SSD in MB/MBP?
    3. MB, MBP or imac?

any help is appreciated. thanks.

2. blasius macrumors newbie

blasius

I was using protools 7.1.1 with a Imac 2.0 ghz and 2 gigs of ram and it was alright.... I now use a macbook pro 2.33 ghz with 2gb of ram and it flys.... I'm positive that you don't need more than 2gb of ram cause i have put my computer the the limit with plugins and midi and it has been awesome. so if you get a macbook pro with 2.4 ghz you will be set for everything

hope this helps
    cb

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

External Firewire Hard Drive for you audio files too.

4. angrynrdrckr thread starter macrumors newbie

angrynrdrckr

interesting, because i've heard so much about the importance of ram... thanks

5. angrynrdrckr thread starter macrumors newbie

angrynrdrckr

of course, that's what i meant by the time capsule or external drive... i don't plan on using the internal drive for anything more than the applications themselves

6. MAW macrumors regular

Save your tiger disk though, since digidesign's dragging their feet with an update for leopard. And if you have any m-audio controllers you're f***ed there too for the time being.

7. angrynrdrckr thread starter macrumors newbie

angrynrdrckr

yup... i have already made plans to partition my internal drive as soon as i get it and install tiger, pro tools and ableton live to that partition. annoying.