Need Help with SSD Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riseatlantic, Mar 7, 2017.

1. riseatlantic macrumors newbie

Hello everyone .
    I have a late 2013 macbook pro with retinal and a 2.6ghz i7
    Apple care ran out 3 months ago and my 1 terabyte ssd drive just failed.
    Apple wants 1635 canadian to replace the pci ssd drive which is just crazy.

I have been looking around at options but cant really tell what will work and what has the fastest speed compared to the apple drive.

I see samsung has some, owc, has some and a few others but i am not sure if they match the speed of the apple drive.

I paid over 5000 for this computer and now this ... not very impressed at all right now, its my first mac and i am looking at the other 3 tosibas i have running still in the corner at 1/4 of the price .

Should i contact apple , see they can help ?

I am running off a external drive right now and would like some suggestions on which drives will fit and will match the speed of the apple or at least close

thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's massively unlucky. Really sorry to hear that.

I'd probably call Apple rather than going to the store and politely explain the situation. It's unlikely there's anything they'd normally do, but you did take out AppleCare on it after all, and it's only a few months from that.

3. riseatlantic thread starter macrumors newbie

just got off phone with them and sent me to there supervisor and he gave me the run around .. any idea on what drive will fit ?

4. jerryk macrumors 68020

You can look at OWC web site. But the Apple drives are not a standard M.2 SSD. They have a proprietary interface that Apple uses, and OWC reverse engineered.

5. riseatlantic thread starter macrumors newbie

so ones like samsung wont work in them ? there is were i am confused

6. yukari macrumors regular

Correct. Samsung SSD or any other SSD will NOT work.
    OWC supposedly has the one that works and made specifically for MBP

7. riseatlantic thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow this suprises me that no one else sells one for macbookpro ..

8. yukari macrumors regular

It's because it is proprietary.
    Probably patented, so no one can use it without paying license fee.

9. jerryk macrumors 68020

A big factor was Apple was using them first, and in larger sizes then were commercially available. So Apple had to do their own interface. But, then a year or two later the industry standardized on NVMe which are used in products like the Samsung 950 Pro and 960 Pro/EVO.

10. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

Really sorry to hear about your situation. I would absolutely not give up on this case with Apple.
    Always try to be the most courteous and respectful as possible even in this tough situation, people in general are more motivated to help someone they like vs someone they don't.

First, I would suggest trying a different Apple Store in your city (if there is one), if there isn't one, go back to the one you went to. I would immediately ask for the store manager and address your situation in a direct but gentle manner. I would mention how you have been a long time user with Apple and that you invested a lot of money in this computer and with the Apple brand in general. Store management have the discretion to void any part or service charges.

The last resort would be to go up the chain with Apple by phone and explain the situation.
    Only after all these efforts have failed would I take the step of informing them that you will file a consumer complaint in your province if they will not help.

If all of the above is exhausted you could go the third party route, you mentioned that you have a late 2013 MacBook Pro, the Apple SSD that shipped in the late 2013 MacBook Pro is slower than the one released in the 2015 rMBP and there is a third party option on the market now that claims to have read/write speeds similar to the 2015 Apple SSD. It is still very expensive but if their numbers are true, it would be quicker than the OWC and your 2013 Apple SSD.
    http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=mtos&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TBPCIESSD-2015
    You can get some of your money back if you are somehow able to securely wipe your broken SSD and sell it on ebay as 'parts not working'. Parted magic is a great tool for this type of thing, but not sure if it will work with a failing SSD.

Hope it all works out and Apple is able to help.