Need help with SSD install in Mac-mini 2012

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mjoshi123, Nov 17, 2012.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

I've picked Macmini 2012 from Bestbuy now I need help with adding SSD. I know it is complicated process and there are video online on OWC as well as on iFixit website. My question is this

I want to add SSD to my Mac-mini and use it as a primary drive and use 1TB HDD inside as a data-drive. I'm getting Samsung 840 500GB from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...3176760&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+840+ssd+500gb

Is there anything specific that I'd need to do for using SSD as my primary disc and HDD as secondary ? I know in PC world you could go into BIOS as well as set the jumpers on HDD to work as primary or secondary. How does it work with Mac ? I did similar thing with my macbook pro in past but at that time I moved existing HDD to DVD drive slot so there was no confusion with regards to which one is primary disc.

2. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

You would need to purchase an additional SATA cable for the MM.
    Why not upgrade your spinner to the SSD and use the spinner in a USB3.0 caddy?

3. motrek macrumors 68020

I plan to buy a Mini soon and will be adding an SSD by putting it in an external enclosure and connecting it via USB3. Should be way more than fast enough for my needs. I have seen YouTube videos of people transferring over 450 MB/s via USB3 which I believe is faster than my SSD is even capable of.

As for the master/slave settings you're referring to, that's for IDE drives, not SATA. You shouldn't have to do anything special to get an SSD working with a Mac Mini other than connecting it.

4. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Dont consider using the SSD as the main boot drive over USB3.0.

5. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

I'm planning on getting data doubler kit from OWC, they also supply SATA cable along with it.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

Reason for not upgrading spinner to USB3.0 is than it will take away one USB 3.0 port.

6. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

So what are you doing with the other 3 USB3 ports?

7. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Why would I waste one port for a drive when I already have space inside mini for it ?