Need help with the basics

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mattrgee, Aug 29, 2009.

1. mattrgee macrumors member

Hi all,

I received a Nikon D40 last Christmas but since then I've yet to realise its full potential. The dial has barely left 'Auto' :(

I'm keen to understand the underlying principles but can't find suitable literature to guide me. I read a number of photography related magazines, but in all honesty I don't understand the technical details. What is aperture, what effect does it have? F whats? etc etc.

Can anyone recommend a book or DVD that shows these principles in use? I suppose a workshop would be ideal but I just don't know think I have the time at the moment.

Thanks.

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Read Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson.

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Thom Hogan makes an eBook for the D40, and he does enough camera-specific stuff to probably make it worth your while. I think it's close to when he gets back from his annual sabbatical too, so you should be able to get it soon. www.bythom.com

5. mattrgee thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys,

I'm going to check all these out now.

I've also found a local photography course that starts in September, it's 10 weeks at only £50 which is pretty good I think. Hopefully some self study and some classroom teaching should get me up to speed.

Thanks.

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Definitely take advantage of the photography course, it will help you out immensely!

7. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Peterson has upgraded this book this year into a "field guide" which is a little more manageable to carry around called "Understanding Photography."