Need help with the specs of a Macbook Pro MA896LL/A

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applesupergeek, Mar 24, 2010.

1. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

2.4 GHZ C2D

Can you guys help me find out if an intel chipset/motherboard and whether there are any integrated intel graphics, as well as the dodgy nvidia card.

Thanks, guys!

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
  3. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean there's nothing dodgy? They are the famed failing cards with the extended warranty to 3 years?:rolleyes:

Yeah, I checke everymac of course, but I can't figure out if the motherboard is from intel, if it includes some intel igfx and the nvidia card is a discrite one.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No Core 2 Duo/MacBook Pro has an integrated Intel GPU and and nVidia discrete GPU. The earliest 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro had the 8600M GT (the one you're probably looking for or referring to) and the later one has the 9400M/9600M GT dual GPU.

Specification sheets for MacBook Pro's with the 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo CPU's:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/SP4
    http://support.apple.com/kb/SP499

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The MA896LL (2.4 GHz) is the 15" MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007) with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT. You can find specs on all Apple products with Mactracker.

7. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks guys for all that help much appreciated. Mactracker is great, I d forgotten about it.

So, because I am not big on hardware there's the motherboard in this mac, and a separate discrete gpu, the gpu is not on the motherboard right?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct, if you mean the GPU is not integrated in the CPU. Both the CPU and the GPU reside on the logic board (motherboard).

9. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh cool, thanks a lot, so that would make the graphics integrated then, and serviceable only by a full motherboard change.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whether the GPU is integrated or discrete, it's not like a desktop computer, where you can just pop in a replacement graphics card. Most such things in a notebook are soldered and not considered user-serviceable. To attempt to do so would void your warranty.

11. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

but trained apple engineers, could retain the mobo and change the integrated graphics right?

12. belvdr macrumors 603

Depends on who you define as "engineers". Sure one of the electronic engineers could probably design a new board, but they're likely not going to be able the purchase the chips invdividually.

Technicians and others? No way.

13. applesupergeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I mean technicians, thanks for clarifying this for me, so that a faulty nvidia card in the mobo means a change in motherboard in servicing.