Need help with Time Capsule Wifi signal

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xp0z3d, Sep 11, 2013.

1. xp0z3d macrumors regular

I have 2tb Time capsule in my house as a Wifi router. Its kept downstairs foyer area. Earlier till last week I never had any Wifi signal problems upstairs in my Bathrooms etc. But since this week I am experiencing problem where when in Bathrooms upstairs Macbook and my Iphone would lose connection to Time capsule and if not lose connection then also internet would come to halt and speed being 20mbps becomes less than 1mbps. I used to get full connection speed there earlier but not anymore. Nothing has changed, I have not changed any settings or added anything new to network etc. Absolutely nothing has changed. My house is not even a big house. Its a 1860 sq foot Townehome.
    Now even in living room my iPhone loses Internet even though Macbook still has sitting next to it. But Iphone would show connected to wifi network but internet does not work and then i switch its wifi off and then switch it on and it works.

Time capsule is 2012 model bought in Oct and 2tb.

How to find out reason and rectify the issue?

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

One possible clue to your problem is the word "townhome", as in close proximity of neighbours. It could be that a neighbour has a new wifi setup using the the same channel. Have you tried changing channels? If you're on 2.4GHz, you could also try 5GHz.

3. xp0z3d thread starter macrumors regular

how to do that, I mean change channels?

----------

Also another issue that irritates me is my both Iphone 4 are behaving strangely on my home wifi now since 2-3 days. First of all their speeds are extremely slow on wifi. I ran 100s of speed tests using the app in same place as my Macbook but iPhone barely registers 1mbps when Macbook would get around 20mbps.

Another issue is that if I don`t use iPhone for 1-2 hrs and then use it, it shows as being connected to my home wifi but no network activity can be done unless I turn iphone wifi switch off and then bring it back to on.

4. xp0z3d thread starter macrumors regular

I have resolved it for now. I used wifi explorer app to see what around me and every network was 2.4ghz except one which was 5ghz although that was on channel 153,-1 and mine 5ghz network was on channel 157,+1 still somehow it was an issue. Then i switched my channel from automatic to 36,+1 and now I have internet throughout the house.

But still i dun understand is when i was on 157,+1 I had good signal of wifi throughout the house even in my washroom which is farthest from TC. I had 48% signal but hardly any Internet and even TC local connection would drop and get disconnected. But since i moved to 36,+1 now I have a low strength signal upstairs , where earlier I had 56% etc now I have 39% etc even in washroom i used to have 48% now its 30% but earlier no Internet but now I get internet either 10mbps and even sometimes 20mbps. This is strange signal strength is down but internet is there and I do not lose connection to TC anymore.

Solved same issue with iphone its on 2.4 so every other wifi network around me was on 2.4 too. Mine was in setting automatic for channels and connected on 11 but changed it to 1 and now iPhone has wifi connectivity.