Need help with touchterm.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zipperhead69, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Zipperhead69 macrumors newbie

Ok so I am just starting to learn how to use terminal on my macbook pro and I wanted to use touchterm so I could access my computer when I wanted to. I know what it does I just don't know how to set it up. I don't know how to really setup an ssh on my mac but I do know what it does. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. If I am not specific enough for you then just tell me. Thanks in advance.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

So are you trying to SSH into your iPhone? You have to be jailbroken and have OpenSSH installed first. There are instructions in the hacks forum.

3. Zipperhead69 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I'm am trying to SSH from my phone to my computer. I am trying to learn how to use TouchTerm.

4. Zipperhead69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does any one here know how to help me with TouchTerm!?!?!?!?!?!? I would really appreciate the help. All I need to know how to do is to set it up and get connected. I know what to use it for and what it does I just don't know how to get any of the stuff that is asking for to connect to my computer.

5. nicoljcraig macrumors newbie

Yep does anyone know anywhere with detailed instructions on how to set up a simple ssh connection with touchterm and iphone? I've just bought it and can't find anything! Even the link to their 'help page' didn't work!

6. nicoljcraig macrumors newbie

Hey. The link on the iphone wasn't working. I got to that page (on my laptop), but can't seem to find the right details (server, username, password) to get it connected (I was hoping for a step by step run through). I have the Server (ie computer name + '.local' ?) and I've tried using the username and password: root, alpine respectively. I'm new to SSH so forgive my ignorance. Any more help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, N.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

root/alpine is for your phone. You need to use your Mac user account info.

Make sure Remote Login is ON in your Mac's sharing preferences.

In TouchTerm,
    for you Server enter:

username@computername.local

Then enter your Username again in the username field.

Terminal should popup with a password request

8. nicoljcraig macrumors newbie

That's great! Thanks very much. Feel like a bit of pleb for asking, but at least I'm connected. :) Cheers. N