Need Help with Understanding 802.11n, and what Router to Choose

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andreab35, Jan 23, 2009.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hey guys!

Alright, here are the devices in my house that use the internet:
    - MacBook Air Rev. B (802.11n)
    - 2 iPhones (1 1st. gen, and 1 3G)
    - 1 Wii
    - One USB printer (Canon Pixima MP480)
    - One Gateway M275 Laptop (802.11g)
    - One Emachines desktop (connects via ethernet)

Now, I've noticed a complete slowdown on internet connection, especially when my MacBook Air is wirelessly connected. When the MacBook Air is connected, everything comes to a complete drag in performance.
    I currently have an Actiontec router that was supplied to me by Verizon DSL. Now I'm thinking that it can't handle all my devices in my home anymore. The router supports, a/b/g . The Gateway is a g wireless connection.

Now, is is the complete slowdown on my wireless network because of my MacBook Air, just because it has 802.11n technology? Because when I shut my Air off, the laptop and everything else is back to normal. Even my MacBook Air wireless speeds are extremely sluggish.

So, I think I will be buying a new router. It is either between the choice of an Airport Base station that plugs into the wall, or an Airport Extreme.

Which do you recommend? I was chatting online with an Apple Store representative and they recommended the Airport Extreme.

I just want to make sure I'm making the right move here so I do not purchase a router for nothing.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it a lot! :)

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Airport Extreme.

Since you have a wired computer and a printer, the Airport Extreme will allow you to connect these devices. The printer will be shared over the network to all of your computers.