Need Help with Uneccesary Drama

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Beyond Broken, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Beyond Broken macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll try to make this short and to the point.
    I recently met a girl online, lives 1/2 way around the world. We talk everynight on the webcam for 3-5 hours. Every night!. We are basically in love. I am planning on visiting her within 3 weeks. However, there is this other guy who she contacts. She says he's just a friend blah blah blah. Well I dont like him, and he seems to be a real jerk, and he is causing problems. So, should I tell her to either pick him or me, or just let this go.?

2. atmenterprises macrumors regular

1/2 way around the world? It's not going to work. Distance does not make the heart grow fonder, no matter how many movies you've seen that indicate otherwise. Forget about this girl and find someone local. It's only going to cause you problems in the end. For how long can you afford to fly across the globe to see her?

3. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

I think you've become a supporting role in her movie about herself.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From experience I can't agree with that, although half way around the world is a very long distance.
    OP. It will probably not work out. Does this guy live close to her?

5. Paul B macrumors 6502

I assume she's 18+. She's a grown-up, steer her in the right direction by giving her a little advice, but let her take care of her own problems.

There's also a chance she is lying or just being a drama queen.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The odds are stacked against this working out.

7. Beyond Broken thread starter macrumors newbie

No, he lives here in USA too. We are both adults she is 30 I am 40... And I think we both like a little drama... sadly.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So where is she from if she's 1/2 way round the world. India? SE Asia? China?

9. Beyond Broken thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a copy of my last email to her:

"You know I love you. I don't know what the heck is going on. But this is getting ridiculous. And it is not fun anymore. It is supposed to be fun. I can't figure anything out. There seems to be a lot of secrets. I was ready to commit to come out there and see you. You are not, and that is ok... But I can't go on like this. If something changes, You know where to find me. -Love"

Eastern Europe

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's not half way round from the US :p.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm pretty sure I once saw something on Dateline about this. Guy falls in love with girl halfway around the world. Guy sends lots of money to girl. Girl ends up being a male Nigerian scammer :rolleyes:

12. Beyond Broken thread starter macrumors newbie

oh dear, well no, not technically...

not like that at all...

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's what the guy on Dateline said before he realized he was taken to the cleaners.

14. Beyond Broken thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not stupid. i not sending 1 dollar...

can we stick to the advice?

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, you're right, it is a bit different. You'll just waste 2 or 3 grand to go over there and discover that this girl doesn't exist.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My initial thought of what 1/2 way round the world means meant I thought it was almost definitely a scam with Eastern Europe it does depend which country it is. Broadly speaking if they are from an EU country (except possibly Bulgaria/Romania) they could just move to Western Europe so it would be unlikely to be worth pulling off this as a scam to get US citizenship.

Screen shot 2010-01-18 at 17.51.52.png

What does she gain out of doing that? Maybe I'm not thinking hard enough, but the only scam I can think of is to marry you for US citizenship.

17. Beyond Broken thread starter macrumors newbie

I talk to her on the WEBCAM, phone, email, text.... she exists... Plus the plane ticket is only $850 lol

18. Paul B macrumors 6502

What country is she from? I'm somewhat of an expert on this type of thing and if she's from the country I'm thinking of, I could give you a little advice.

19. bearbear macrumors regular

You sound a little jealous and really she can talk to whoever she likes. Giving ultimatums (it's either me or him) are not the best thing since most people don't follow through with them and then they will most likely not take you seriously next time.

If you are already having these kind of issues this early on, it's only going to get worse. Keep her as a friend and move on.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is this crazy relationship thread week? Forget about this girl.

21. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Why is it a problem that she talks to other people?

22. Beyond Broken thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a problem. She can talk to whoever she wants. But when she sends him a webcam (because he cant afford one). That's what I have a problem with, and then him contacting me, saying leave her alone...
    (She is from Western Ukraine)

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't think it's a problem that she's talking to another guy - I think it's a problem that the OP believes she loves him and only him.

OP: you have asked for advice. Going through this thread it seems pretty unanimous that you are being advised to let this go. My hunch is that you and this other guy are both being played, and that there may actually be more guys than the two of you.

You also sound crazy jealous about this guy (whom I assume you have never met). But if a ticket costs "only" $850 and you're okay with risking that, plus lodging, plus possibly having your heart broken, then who am I to judge?

24. Paul B macrumors 6502

If you're gonna book a trip to her country, prepare an itinerary for if she doesn't meet you. There's a chance she might disappear off the face of the planet right when you arrive.

P.S. I speak from experience.

25. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You are both being played. She tells him about you and she tells you about him, she likes the attention AND she's getting it. Find someone local. You never met her before and she's half way around the world.