Need help with upgrading my Macbook (07) specs.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ZebraineZ, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Ok well my macbook I got on halloween, 10/31/07 (ironic yes but bleh) and these are the specs so far:

- 10.5.6 Leopard
    - 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I really want to upgrade my RAM and my harddrive which is 120GB harddrive, that's all I know about it :/

Can someone tell me how much RAM I should get? Also if I get a new harddrive where should I get one and which one should I get that wouldn't be too expensive (obviously)... I have like about 52 gigs left free but I feel that it can get super low VERY quickly, that is why I don't get as many stuff as I used to, so I can save disk space. I use photoshop alot and itunes and I just use alot of programs all at once so I would want some ram to handle all that but I just don't know what to do, so can anyone help me? If there is anymore info then just tell me.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

2 Gb of RAM is most likely all you need, but you won't spend too much money going all the way to 4 Gb.

On the hard drive, if it were me I'd get a 7200 rpm drive for speed. You'll sacrifice a little bit of battery life, and it might be a tad noisier, but you'll notice a difference in speed, for sure. Get at least a 250 Gb if you're going to bother changing it out.

3. neith macrumors newbie

neith

4. ZebraineZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Doing most of the dirty work I can just leave it up to my cousin but he's a 'PC' drone so he might rebel a little, but I gave him my PS3 so he owes me....anyways how can I tranfser all of my stuff on this harddisk to my new harddisk if I get one? I know about the whole migration and **** but that is from computer to computer, since when I put a new harddisk in it's a clean one....erm.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Two ways: (1) make a backup of the existing drive before you remove it, or (2) buy a USB-to-SATA cable and connect the drive to the computer externally. I would recommend option (1).

6. Aegelward macrumors 6502

I recommend you get a USB caddy regardless for the original drive, it'll allow you can get some use out of the drive after it's removed.

Anyway, one thing i did was clone my current drive to the new one using this software, and then install it into the machine with your system in tact.