Need Help with using CCC on new touch-bar Mac pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kpkryptonite, Jan 29, 2017.

1. kpkryptonite macrumors newbie

HI Everyone-

I recently just bought a new Touch-bar Macbook Pro and i have a older mac pro from mid 2014. I wanted to clone the drive from old to new. so i decided to use ccc and I am using a thunderbolt cable. I used Target disk mode to partition the new macs drive to extended journaled. then map scheme is GUID. then I used ccc and everything went smoothly and i even decided to also add the option of recovery hd. which ccc does for you painlessly.My only issue is that once I eject from old mac and restart the new even after I hold option and select drive to boot from. I get a circle with a line across it. it won't boot mac. Pleas is there anyone that can help. i have tried doing this 4 times. this time i am tempting to do it again but now updating old mac to os x sierra just incase its a software issue. Does anyone have any ideas. Thank you very much.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Your new 2016 MBP only supports macOS Sierra, so if you clone a older OS to it then it will not run.

You need to install Sierra on the 2016 MBP, boot from the 2016 MBP, connect the 2014, and use the Migration Assistant app to copy your data.

3. kpkryptonite thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi CoastalOR-

Thank you for reply. If I use MA will that be just like a clone or is it only transferring data? Or is it possible to just update old Mac pro to sierra and then use ccc. to clone it exaclty? And if not. How will I be able to just install Sierra ox by itself on the new mac since i erased the drive and portioned it.

Thank you,

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "How will I be able to just install Sierra ox by itself on the new mac since i erased the drive and portioned it."

TRY THIS FIRST:

You need to boot to internet recovery and reinstall a bootable copy of the Sierra OS.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
    a. Power down -- ALL THE WAY OFF
    b. Press the power-on button
    c. IMMEDIATELY hold down the Command and "R" keys and keep holding them down. I think you can let go when you see the "globe" icon.

When you see the OS Utilities window, choose "Reinstall Mac OS".
    This may take some time, as the OS has to be downloaded and then installed.

If the internet recovery/restore is successful, I -think- you will end up with a good copy of Sierra -AND- your migrated account and data will STILL BE THERE.

Give this a try, and get back and let us know how you made out.

BTW, your fatal error using CCC was trying to put an old copy of the OS on a newer Mac. That doesn't work, as you found out.

The proper method would have been to use migration assistant, which would have "brought over" everything from the backup EXCEPT the OS... ;)

Hmmm.... more thoughts
    If you "partitioned" the internal drive, this may not work as planned...

5. kpkryptonite thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Fishrrman-

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know exactly what you mean by rebooting it. but yes, since i portioned the drive that option is no longer available.

Yes, I realized that my mistake was the fact I tried cloning from a old os x. lol Definitely does not work. Updating everything first is the way to go.

I have updated on old mac os x sierra. after the using ccc. everything worked.

Thank you everyone for helping.