Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi,

I'm trying to input a vector image (.eps) into a pages document. However, it shows up with a white background. Is there a way to make the background around my logo transparent?

Help!

David

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
EPS files (encapsulated PostScript) can be either raster or vector based. Just because it has .eps at thee end don't assume it is a vector file.

EPS files do not support alpha channels or transparency. EPS files cannot be re-opened in Photoshop with vector content intact.

I am not familiar with Pages. Normally one would save a vector image with a mask (alpha channel) to import into a page layout program. You may be better off saving your vector image as a TIFF or PDF file, both support transparency and Alpha Channels.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
EPS files (encapsulated PostScript) can be either raster or vector based. Just because it has .eps at thee end don't assume it is a vector file.

EPS files do not support alpha channels or transparency. EPS files cannot be re-opened in Photoshop with vector content intact.

I am not familiar with Pages. Normally one would save a vector image with a mask (alpha channel) to import into a page layout program. You may be better off saving your vector image as a TIFF or PDF file, both support transparency and Alpha Channels.

Thanks for that. It was very informative.

I have managed to create a .png of one of my images which supports transparency and imported it into Pages fine.

Have you any idea how I would remove the white background around my logo so that it becomes transparent?

Thanks,
David

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Try to save the vector EPS as a PDF file. Most OS X applications will honor the transparency / clear background. You can also open the EPS in Illustrator or similar vector editor and just select the object and copy. You should be able to paste it, as they will copy the vector art as a PDF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.