Need help with visudo

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lynkynpark86, Mar 20, 2011.

1. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

Hello,
    For the sake of saving a few hours, I won't go into great detail,but on my mac, I use an account with no privileges, down to and including not being able to edit it's own applications folder. But, I've got admin and root access on my machine. Using visudo (as root), can I give my account sudo privileges, but not admin rights? If so, what would I type? I read the visudo man page, and it didn't help much.

2. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Since you don't give any details, I'm going to assume that you're running your system this way due to security concerns. Assuming that, I have to ask: why would you allow a user super-user (sudo) access, but not administrator priviliges? You can do much more damage to a system as sudo than as administrator.

To (sort of) answer your question though, you need to edit the sudoers file to add your user to the list of those who can run sudo commands. I'm not very knowledgeable in that area, so I'll defer to those who are.

3. lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I will go into detail: My computer is on an image, because it is a state computer. I am supposed to use the normal, non-admin account on a daily basis, but I have admin rights on the system, but not my own account. I an sick of having to "su admin", and then sudo, and type two commands and two passwords to run one simple command. My account is not able to be admin for physical reasons, not because of permission problems. System settings prevent my account from being admin, and new accounts from being made. So, long story long, that's why I need sudo but not admin. :D