Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ishaanth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
I just got my new macpro, 15" with MACOSX 10.6.6. 2 days back I installed VLC and Divx . Now the problem comes here with vlc, it wont start with the system. Every time I wanna see some movie I have to go to my downloads and start the vlc first to get an option in right click or to use drag & drop. The problem with the Divx is, It try to grab every video. Even It tries to play videos at apple.com. Bad thing is It wont show any video, I can only hear the audio. I try to uninstall it by dragging it to the trash. It wont work.
Can somebody help plz! :confused:

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
I just got my new macpro, 15" with MACOSX 10.6.6. 2 days back I installed VLC and Divx . Now the problem comes here with vlc, it wont start with the system. Every time I wanna see some movie I have to go to my downloads and start the vlc first to get an option in right click or to use drag & drop. The problem with the Divx is, It try to grab every video. Even It tries to play videos at apple.com. Bad thing is It wont show any video, I can only hear the audio. I try to uninstall it by dragging it to the trash. It wont work.
Can somebody help plz! :confused:

You seem to be very new to Mac OS X ?

1) first learn how to install applications the right way !
2) you dont need to install "divx". Install Perian video plugin so most common files play right away using quicktime. Or use the VLC but you havent even installed it right currently

YOU REALLY NEED TO READ THIS TUTORIAL, its the basic tutorial how to INSTALL applications on your Mac!
http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

Using a Mac OS X is VERY easy once you learn the basics.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Read the tutorial, but you want to install any application file by simply Dragging it into the Applications folder.

You can have VLC in your dock as well. Click the 'face' (Finder) and in the left pane click on 'Applications'. Drag the VLC app into Applications folder.

It will be installed, no fuss, no muss.

Next, you can drag the VLC Icon from Applications to your dock. Drag it around on the dock to a location you want, and release it there. If it doesn't end up in the dock, but on the Desktop, you didn't quite have it over the dock.

To uninstall and application, you simply drag it from the Applications folder to the Recycle Bin (Or just out of the Applications folder).

Hope it helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.