Need help with VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ryan1524, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I love watching my TV shows on HD, and I use VLC for this. My problem is that VLC is much more stable than MPlayer, but it decodes the video with a lot of artifact on the screen. Mplayer might not make it through the file, but it renders a MUCH smoother picture.

I'm torn. Either I crash in the middle of the show, or contend with artifacts throughout the show. Anybody else experiencing this? What's your solution? I've been playing with deinterlacing options, but it's not helping much.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

IMHO, all "normal" media player on the Mac have one problem or another... very depending on the container formats and codecs used.

Try XBMC Media Center for Mac.
    Ugly interface (yes, you can get skins...) but does extremly well doing the much needed (HD-)media playback, with Dolby Digital support!

3. timestoby macrumors 6502

i find mplayer to be more better than vlc when it comes to playn mkv hd movies,at least with mplayer the movie plays and doesnt crash in the middle lol. but i have been using plex for playn hd stuff now,its so neat and you can use ur apple remote with it.

but i use vlc for sd stuff,which is great

4. gdphishman817 macrumors newbie

That's the old one. The guys who were doing it branched off from the XBMC team. The new app is called Plex. elan.plexapp.com Works great for HD content.