Need help with web page for local network.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dubnluvn, Aug 5, 2009.

1. dubnluvn macrumors member

I need to have a web page that lists the folders in a specific directory on a firewire hard drive from another mac on a local network. The folders will change regularly so the web page will need to be able to scan the directory and then display the names as well as open the index.html file within each corresponding folder. Someone told me PHP can do this fairly easily, in fact someone wrote up some code to for me for it, but doesn't work because of something to do with apache.

Any suggestions/insights as to how to accomplish this?

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Php will indeed do this, and its quite easy to do.

Make sure your server (which looks like it will be your own computer) has php installed on it. You can find several tutorials on the web for this (usually you just have to point your to the right file resource where your php kept)

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Alternatively Perl, Python, or Ruby (all scripting languages) could do this, but it sounds like you already have a script to work from.

If you could provide some error messages, or the behavior of the system so we can better diagnose. Also, with PHP scripts, you'll want to make sure the file has a .php extension so the server knows to parse the PHP inside the file.

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If you want Mac OS X PHP enabled easily I used this to do it. You then can just delete the thing it installed if you don't want it.