Need help with what to order.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mintin8, May 4, 2011.

1. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Hello ladies and gentlemen, it's time to order a new mac i think!

I will be using this iMac for pretty much - gaming (i know a gaming rig would be better but i just love mac os), general browsing, word processing, video editing (small 7-10 minute projects for a friends youtube), photo editing (going to be dealing with large RAW files from a 5D Mk II).

What processor should I get, would an i7 be a lot more beneficial than a core i5?

I'll be getting 4GB RAM and then i'll add another 4 myself.

This is what i'm thinking

27-inch iMac (2011)
    3.1GHz Quad Core (Core i5)
    4GB RAM (later upgraded to 8)
    1TB HDD + 256GB SSD (im not in a rush, so delivery times are fine)
    ATI 6970M 2GB Graphics Card

Basically, i'm torn between the core i5 and i7, can macrumors help me? To clarify, my main use will be gaming (portal 2, black ops, GTA).

Thanks in advance.

2. treebark7182 macrumors member

I'm in the exact same boat. I know it's a better processor buy does it justify the extra dough. I want to get it at best buy for rewards points and 0% financing but I dont know when best buy will get them in or if they'll even carry the i7's. I know its a BTO option but I've heard a lot of apple stores having them.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Gaming probably won't yield a huge difference between the two. Processing your large image files will be noticeable though, so depending on how serious you are about your photo editing, it might be something to look into. For the $200...I personally think it's worth it any way you cut it.

4. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I learned to just stop buyers remorse in its tracks and get the best that I can afford.

Will $200 put you in a bind?
    Were you already stretching your budget to get the config you are considering now?

If No, get the I7.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are going all out for speed w/ the larger SSD then it seems silly not to go in $200 more for the i7. The i7 is the only way to get hyperthreading and also bursts to 3.8Ghz.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

SSD seems like a waste to me.

8 gigs of ram is only 100 (for a total of 12) -- better bang than just adding 4 more.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Is it true that the 2.7 i5 actually outperforms the 3.1 i5?

The only reason I am thinking of getting the 3.1 is the 6970 and I don't do any gaming. But everything I've read says the 6770 just isn't that great. I think the i7 is overkill for my needs, but I plan to keep it about 4 years.

8. Mintin8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I thought RAM performs better when each stick is the same amount.

Also I'm planning on keeping this a long time (5 years probably) so I guess the SSD would be a wee bit beneficial.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

More ram always trumps matched ram, everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Who knows what you will be doing in 5 years ;)

As of right now, it looks like adding the SSD yourself after you buy it is not gonna work -- needs some special crap parts a complete logic board removal

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/29/imacs-latest-27-inch-iteration-requires-special-parts-for-your/

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The 3.1 i5 CPU outperforms the 2.7 i5 in most uses.

11. Mintin8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

But surely the SSD would have a more significant impact compared to some more ram? Plus i wouldn't be adding it myself, i'll just get the apple SSD (obviously not as good as intel).

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, it would. Badger has some inexplicable hate and issues when it comes to ssd drives.