Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jbark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Hey everyone,

I took my laptop to class today, which I normally don't do, and I connected o my school's WiFi network. The problem is now that I am back in my apartment I cannot connect to my WiFi. My computer will not automatically join my network, and when I try to join it says invalid password, even though I have tried all of my go-to passwords. I looked in my keychain and for some reason my password wasn't there either.

The problem is compounded by the fact that when I open the Airport Utility, it says that no devices are in range, even though my Airport is on (with a green status light) and sitting about 3 feet from my computer.

I tried restarting my computer to no avail. It is important that I have Internet. Please help.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
What OS are you using? FYI, Lion has many issues with WiFi.

As far as the password is concerned, turn of your mac, unplug your router for ten seconds, plug it back in and let it reconnect, turn on your mac and hopefully that will fix it.

Otherwise, try going into admin settings on the router and reset the network settings.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
What OS are you using? FYI, Lion has many issues with WiFi.

As far as the password is concerned, turn of your mac, unplug your router for ten seconds, plug it back in and let it reconnect, turn on your mac and hopefully that will fix it.

Otherwise, try going into admin settings on the router and reset the network settings.

under system prefs >> networking, you can also go into advanced for Airport and try editing the password on the wireless network profile for your apartment.

As well, make sure that you didn't edit that profile in order to connect at your school. If so, just create a new profile for home and keep them separate.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Restart your router. Test.

If you or someone else deleted the wifi password, then reset router and make new password.

Takes few minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.