Need help with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bparisien, Sep 6, 2014.

1. bparisien, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

bparisien macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a Macbook Pro running on 10.9.4 I believe. I installed Win7 Bootcamp because I want to game on my MBP. I've been hunting for hours for drivers, installing a bunch on Intel's website thinking that would work. It just came to my attention that those will not work, and Bootcamp has their own specific drivers. I installed 32bit Win 7 on my laptop, and now I have seen that there are no drivers supported? I don't even care if I don't have Wifi as long as I can play my games on my Windows partition I'm happy. Is there anything I can do?

Please respond asap,
    Thanks in adv.

2. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I would try downloading the 64 bit version online and use your product key for that one. I don't think Bootcamp support 32 Bit any longer.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Only 64-bit versions of Windows are supported. Your 32-bit product key should work with a 64-bit installation of the same version of Windows (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate), meaning you can't use a 32-bit Home Premium key to install 64-bit Professional.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you mean shouldn't? I believe when you buy windows, you get a key that is for 32bit or 64bit so the OP cannot use his current key for a 64bit version of windows.

5. macenied, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

IMO the OP could try to use the old 32-Bit key for the 64-Bit version. I have never tried this. There is a 30 day period you have until you need to register the OS. If it does not work, I am quite sure that Microsoft support will be cooperative and will NOT force him/her to buy a new license.

Try, talk. How else people can know about your needs ?

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The key is good for either 32 or 64-bit but can only be used for one installation.
    If he erases the 32-bit and installs the 64-bit that's fine as long as he doesn't try to use the 32-bit on an other computer.
    Unless it was an upgrade key.
    Those only work with the OS version you were upgrading from.

7. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Good news for the OP. I'm learning also ... great forum. Thanks !!!

8. bulldozer72 macrumors newbie

Driver Issue

Regardless of 64/32 bit. When you go to the apple site you can get driver support for bootcamp.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

That will have all the drivers you need and then some

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I meant exactly what I said. Keys are agnostic to x86/x64.