Need help with wired LAN settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by halemano, Nov 11, 2014.

1. halemano macrumors newbie

I have an ASUS RT-N56U dual band router, and it is set up with WPA passwords for both the wireless bands. I can see the internet via either wireless band, but when I turn off the computer's airports, even though I am connected by wire to the router, there is no internet.

One of my 4 machines now does not even get internet via wireless :mad:

Likely need to be treated as if I know nothing; should I reset the router?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

In the router settings, what do yo have set for the DNS? Is it static or DHCP?

3. halemano thread starter macrumors newbie

Aloha Sandbox General, I have messed with that setting, I may have had all 4 machines in gigabit network, but the internet may have been only wireless. That seems wrong though, because I have been doing software updates, and only recently have they been super slow; then I noticed internet only wi-fi.

I am looking at the asus router with wireless MBP and trying to get wired internet on freshly installed Snow Leopard MB. MB's Network window is open and ethernet shows connected using DHCP with manual address.

----------

Continuing; that is on my Halemano Network, not the Automatic 'location'.

4. halemano thread starter macrumors newbie

5. halemano thread starter macrumors newbie

So, resetting does not change my problem.

I do have wireless internet on both bands but still can't figure out how to get wired internet.

The iMac has recently had a clean install of Snow Leopard, did all updates, including iWork 09 and iLife 11. Then yesterday I tried to make, and use, a bootable Mavericks installer, and had to do disk repair today, to get back to stable 10.6.8.

Then, I tried to upgrade the MacBook, from long running Leopard to Snow Leopard. That failed and had to clean install Snow Leopard twice before it succeeded. That's when I noticed the lack of wired internet.

Good thing I haven't messed with this MBP, but I'd really like wired internet.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

What happens when you plug your MBP directly into the cable modem? Do you get Internet that way? If so, then the problem resides in the router.

7. halemano thread starter macrumors newbie

Plugging in directly from the cable modem is problematic, as it is in the landlord's bedroom. I have a gigabit router as the first hub, with a short wire to his wireless router, and a long wire to my ASUS router.

I did sneak in there this morning and restart my router, but didn't restart the modem.

I did try this MBP directly with the long wire, and got no internet. Plug the long wire back into ASUS and get wireless internet.

I do find an event.asus.com/2009/networks/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_OperationMode_Content.html page that shows a different map than my map?

Showing firmware version 1.0.1.7d, there are wireless and wired clients. My 1.0.1.8b firmware map only shows wireless clients.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

How many routers are between your router and the internet source (counting a modem/router as 1)?

9. halemano thread starter macrumors newbie

Aloha Brian, I'm guessing the issue is internal in the ASUS wireless router. Looking at the Firewall / General page for the ASUS, 'enable firewall' is 'yes' by default, and I can change the 'enable web access from LAN?' to yes.

Initially, I was seeing a few 10-12 hour download predictions for some Mac software updates, but only on the early '08 MacBook that won't upgrade to Mavericks. The downloads did not take anywhere near that long, although they did fail most of the times I saw the long predictions.

The MacBook is now as up to date as It's going to be, so my wireless is doing the job, albeit slowly. I don't stream, so I guess wired internet is not really that important. My LAN being separate from the web is OK with me for now.

I am still stumbling with the addressing required for the LAN network, but I'm still formulating my future questions.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

One thing you do not want to do is enable this: "enable web access from LAN"

That will open the config of the router to the Internet for remote management; a general no-no.

Give us a detailed description of how and what is all connected from your computers all the way through to the actual cable modem in the other apartment or room.