Need help with Wireless Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2high2aim, May 31, 2010.

1. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

I have a Brothers 2170W Wireless Printer was wondering how to set it up for wireless use...I have been using a USB connection but with my new MBP want to make it wireless so I can use my it to print stuff from my MBP w/o wires.

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Do you have an existing wireless (or wired) network? If you do, it should be fairly simple to configure the printer to connect to it. If not, you'll probably need to create an ad-hoc network from your Mac, unless the printer can act as a base or create on on its own.

I would have to look at the instruction manual--I have the non-networked version of this printer attached to an AirPort Extreme Base Station (giving essentially the same functionality) but am not familiar with setting up wireless on the other model. In any case, a few more details might help.

3. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

It is connect via USB to my PC Desktop computer but want to use its wireless functionality to us for my laptop. I do not know what other relevant information would be. I simply need assistance to turn on the wireless functionality of the printer. Oh and I also have a wireless linksys N router

4. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Relevant information would be your existing network situation in addition to what you have tried so far. You said you have a wireless router, so I'll assume you're using it for an existing wireless network.

According to the manual, using the installation CD that came with the printer is the easiest way to set it up with your existing network. Do you have the CD, and if so, have you tried it?

If you don't have it you can probably download it from Brother's website; you should have a utility you can launch at Macintosh HD / Library / Printers / Brother / Utilities / BRAdmin Light.jar, which you can use to administrate the printer's built-in server as desired (although you will need to somehow connect it to your network first; wired is probably easy than wireless initially, especially if the wireless is protected as it should be :D).

To actually add the printer once it is properly networked, it should appear in the list of printers that are available to add in System Preferences | Print/Fax when you click the "+" button, if everything is configured correctly.

Again, I have the non-networked version of this printer, so I can't give you step-by-step instructions other than paraphrases of what I see in the manual, but hopefully this helps. If there's anything that's still confusing, I'd be happy to try some more. :)