Need help with Wireless Printing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tdodge, Jul 24, 2011.

1. tdodge macrumors newbie

Config: I have a HP printer (Deskjet D1430) that is wirelessly enabled using a linksys wireless print server (WPS54G) and a linksys wireless router (WRT54G). The printer also has a static IP address.

I installed the printer on my MacBook Air using OSX 10.7 (Lion) with the following settings:
    1. Protocol: Line Printer Daemon - LPD
    2. Address: ip address of my printer
    3. Queue: blank
    4. Name: defaults to ip address of my printer
    5. Location: blank
    6. Print Using: HP Deskjet Series

Printer was added no problems. When I try to print a test page, the status says 'printing' and it says 'connected to the printer' but nothing prints. And it stays in that status for like 10 min and nothing happens so I don't really think it's connected to the printer. When the printer is 'receiving info' there is a light that blinks and this light is not blinking.

I can print to that printer from my PC with no issues. And the MAC is on the wireless network as I can get to the internet from the mac with no issues.

So help me understand what the issue is and how I can fix this/get it to work. I've read some stuff on-line that says to put different values in for the queue (L1) and location (IP_ip address of computer) but these to not seem to make a difference. Please advise.

2. tdodge thread starter macrumors newbie

Additional Information

ok - i connected to the printer using a USB cable and was able to print with no issues. So correct driver software is on my computer. So the trouble seems to be getting the mac to recognize the print server even though i'm telling it what the ip address is. Please someone direct me to where i can find information on how to get this to work.

3. tdodge thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it working! Yea!

Ok - finally got this working and here are the settings that did it.

1. Protocol: Line Printer Daemon - LPD
    2. Address: ip address of my printer
    3. Queue: P1
    4. Name: defaults to ip address of my printer
    5. Location: IP_ip address of printerP1
    6. Print Using: HP Deskjet Series

That last P1 on step #5 was key and i think having that value match what was in the queue field. So there you have it! this configuration works for me!

4. janequeenstown macrumors newbie

Help Setup Wireless Printing through Router/ Print Server

I have tried this and it seems many other options but can not make it work. Trying to print through a asus dsl n13 (router with print server). works perfectly with a pc, looks like it is working with my mac but keeps saying 'printer busy'. Been trying to figure this out all day, apple care couldn't help - I am not loving my new mac (prints fine when hardwired)

Please Help

5. dokies macrumors newbie

unable to connect as well

i have a similar problem with my HP desk jet 3050. it can't print via the wireless network, and the printer status is always busy. i have tried the settings as advised, but it is still not working. please advice me with regard to this matter. thank you:confused: