Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Hi, I just bought a used macbook pro 13.3. I am running osx 10.5.8. Have a 1,83 intel core duo. My questing is this: my uncle has the same exact mbp except he has the intel 2.0. When we are both in his kitchen and try to access the same wireless network, he can connect but I cannot. We both have the airport extreme card. I have tried to look for a firmware update but it says my software is up to date. Any ideas why my reception is worse? Any help would be appreciated.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do you have a aluminium MacBook Pro (MBP - comes in 15" and 17") or a white/black MacBook (MB - comes only in 13")?

If it is the former, the reception might be worse due to the case being metal instead of the MB's poly-carbonite plastic housing.

derek17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
It is a white macbook pro from 2006 and it feels plastic. My uncle's is also a white macbook pro from 2006 but his was built in the ladder part of the year when they upgraded to 2.0 intel.

bobriot

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
The latter probably uses 'n' whereas yours is g/b. I had the same issues with my core duo. Although it was only 15 ft away from my router it would not connect. My alu macbook could connect at the bottom of the back garden.

I toyed with the idea of a broadcom 'n' mini pcie card from ebay but never bothered in the end. Another option is a discreet 'n' adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.