need help with with hard drive permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by osin, Jul 20, 2008.

1. osin macrumors 6502

so I went to "get info" on my hard drive changed permissions from "everyone: read only" to "no access", restarted machine and OS won't startup. there is a white screen with apple and computer resets itself after couple minutes. I've tried to boot in safety mode but it didn't help either.
    any ideas how to fix it?

2. mando1246 macrumors newbie

mando1246

I am not going ot ask the obvious question as to why you would want to change that permission however, you hare going to have to get your installation disk and boot to it and run disk utility from it.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Err ... ouch.

Repair permissions from the DVD ... but if you did apply to all.

If it is just the HD and not the files, you should be able to restore the drive permissions.

4. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

So I opened the disk utility and my drive has a lock on its icon. What do I do next? When I want to verify permissions there is a message: " first aid failed. Disk utility stoped verifying permisions because the following error was encountered: The underlying task reported failure on exit"

Have no idea what to do next...

5. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there anything that can be done to recover from this situation?
    Or should I simply give up and reinstall OS?

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

If you have another disk or partition to install a fresh copy of os x then try migration assistant or copy the data from the damaged partition manually to the new one.

Not sure what else to suggest..

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sounds like the drive itself is locked out with "no access" ...

Probably have to start from another volume, and use terminal or something that lets you look at the drive to do a get info on it so you can change the permissions back.

If you can get into the drive with single user mode it might help, since that will give you a command line to repair the drive.

8. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

If I won't get into single user mode I'm planning on installing fresh OS on spare hard drive.
    Could you verify this info: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106712 if this is what you thinking of or is there anything else I should try? This time I want to be 100% sure before I will touch "hdd permissions" ;)

Thank you for helping out

9. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

So good new is I can get into the single user mode ":/ root#" but have no idea what folders/files I should look for and change permissions of... Yes I'm a total noob...

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Don't do anything that you don't know anything about in the future. (Don't change permission globally, etc.)

2. Contact Apple Care / schedule appointment with Genius Bar.

11. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

for those interested or willing to help I have a little update.
    I reinstalled the OS on new hard drive. Now when I want to access my other drive there is a little "lock" on its icon and when I want to open the drive in Finder there is a message: The folder could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges. When I go to Get Info I can't change the permissions. So the problems isn't fixed yet, but at least I have computer running...

any idea how to fix it at this point?

12. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping that there will be Genius Bar member on this forum that could help out ;) I won't have time, working late, this week to go to Apple store. That is why I'm trying to fix this myself, with huge help from this forum of course :)

13. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

another update, just to leave a mark for others in the future...
    I did repair the permissions on 2nd drive by using software called Mac Pilot. It did so fast that I felt really stupid with that whole time wasted...:mad:

14. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

15. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Thats really good news you got it sorted. Presumably you would still have had to install os x again on another drive in order to run Mac Pilot.

I have also read that if the permissions are totally screwed and connot be repaired there is this program that could be of use to gain access to the files http://www.macchampion.com/arbysoft/Welcome.html