Need help with Word on how to modify page numbers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CameronC, Jun 28, 2008.

1. CameronC macrumors newbie

Hi! Just registered.

I have a 405 page book I've been working on and I'm having a nightmare getting the page numbers to do what I want them to do.

I finally got them on the document, but on title pages, I need to make these page numbers not show up. But I can't do that without pulling them off all pages.

All the "help" documents on the net are, as usual, no help and are for PCs only, so please, if someone can guide me through this, I'd be grateful.

-Cam

I am using Microsoft word for Mac 2004 Version 11:2

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Format -> Document -> Layout -> Different First Page

Edit: that's 2008
    Same principle in 2004, but I don't have it any longer to look at the path

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

2004 same same. I think to take the title, forward, TOC, etc., out of body numbering, it has to be broken by section anyway.

4. CameronC thread starter macrumors newbie

This doesn't help. "Different first page" doesn't allow for chapter breaks. I need to take the numbers off the 23 chapter pages I have, but leave the rest of the numbers.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think as JohnNotBeatle said, you have to make them section breaks to accomplish this

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. CameronC thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, and how do I do that? And after I've done it, where do I go and how do I apply the necessary page breaks to the proper pages?

7. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

You have to insert a section break at the beginning of each new chapter. Then in that section specify that it should have a separate first page. Thus, you will have to do this 23 times for your chapters.

Having worked with Word since 1990 (but no longer upgrading to 2008), I found it easier to have each chapter as a separate document to prevent corruption, errors, etc. I know I had them. But then you may not have that option.

If I were doing this project I would use Papyrus XII (cross-platform), ~$100. I did it for a book I publish 2+ years ago and never once caused a problem with rearranging, page numbering, caption numbering, chapter number, etc. Everything was automatic as I moved/changed items, and it was instantaneous.

8. CameronC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I think that's gonna help! I understand now!