Need help with wordpress hosting

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Watabou, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Hi guys. Need some help. I can find answers from google but I want your guys opinion on this question.

Me and my friend is starting a blog. We decided to go to the Wordpress route, install it on our macs and then self host it.

Is there any good free website hosting service that will let us do this with maybe unlimited bandwidth?

I found blog.com that does that but I don't know how reliable it is. I'm fairly new to this and just want an opinion/suggestions. Thanks.

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Unlimited in a paid setting is not too great, let alone in a free setting. If you want free hosts I recommend www.000webhost.com, however free webhosting is rarely reliable or fast, if this project is going to be long term I recommend looking into a good quality paid hosting service.

3. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well we figured that we can transfer anytime. We thought we would actually have some good content on it before moving it to paid web hosting.

Thanks for that link though. I'll have to check it out.

4. oxox-cocoa-oxox macrumors newbie

can't you just host it on wordpress.com? i know they have premium accounts for self-costumed domain names and such if you pay. you can always try out the free account, then if you like what you are doing, you can just switch to premium.

you can also try webs.com. it offers both paid and free accounts. it's a web hosting site + you can make your own website~~ (you can also blog on it as well...)

it's quite good. i have a (free) blog @ wordpress, and also a (free) website in webs.com. i like both of them, but since i'm using webs.com to post my stories, i guess i can't exactly compare them ^^||

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You realize that there really isn't any unlimted bandwidth. If you start using more and more resources the hosting company will clamp down on you. Additionally they'll be cramming you into some overloaded servers so performance will be questionable.

Depending on what your plans are, blogging can be some what low bandwidth, but if you're planning on trying to expand it, using digg and stuff. You could quickly getting headaches with a cheap web host.

Regardless who you choose, check out web hosting talk its a great site that will answer your questions regarding this.