Need help with WPA wifi connect

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stang68, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11328/534; U; en))

Hey everyone,

I am trying to get my touch to work with my Linksys router but it cannot connect. I press on my network and then it asks for the password. I put in the encryption key and it still says "cannot connect". The wifi is WPA Personal, if that helps.

Thanks!

2. linden macrumors regular

linden

Go to your router setting and change the settings to OPEN WEP.

3. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Umm...or not. It's a bad idea to compromise network security more than necessary by using WEP. The Touch should work with WPA Personal.

There are too many variables involved to troubleshoot based on the information you've provided. A couple of suggestions: try resetting the router, make sure you don't have something like MAC (not Mac) address filtering enabled, make sure you have the most recent firmware for your router, try WPA2 to see if that works, on the Touch try choosing other network and entering the SSID manually.

4. thecrackerjack macrumors member

With my touch and the current firmware I had no issues with the WPA working.

My key is ridiculously long and I found it helped to break up the key into four letters then two spaces and repeat and possibly have a friend/family member read the key out as you type it.

If you have the key wrong it won't really tell you, it will say it couldn't connect.

But as phairphan states make sure to turn OFF MAC filtering on the Linksys->Wireless settings.

I have been able to connect to an AppleN, Linksys WRT54GS, DLINK N routers all with WPA/WPA2 Personal.