Need help with WRT54G and Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by asdfTT123, Aug 16, 2008.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I got a WRT54G today for wireless networking in the dorms. I set it up and enabled WPA security but for some reason the wireless is sluggishly slow or doesn't work at all on my Macbook. I tested out on my friend's Dell laptop and it did not work either. The funny thing is, it works perfectly with good speeds on my iPhone without any problems whatsoever. I still have yet to try this on my PS3 and Wii. Under an ethernet hookup my Macbook will work perfectly. Any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong? Is it a possibility that my school has restricted the internet connection here to only work via ethernet (if that's possible)? Sorry, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My school doesn't like people using routers from within their network and blocks them if it detects them on the network, so you might have to put the wrt54g in 'access point' mode if it's in router/NAT mode. This still wouldn't explain why the iPhone works but it's worth a shot.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Is it just the wireless that's sluggish, or is the wired connection through the router slow as well?

4. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

Wardriving + WRT54G = Blah

I dont know what it is with that router but they do not agree with my macbook either. Ive tried to find a fix but to no avail. Its a shame too b/c when I can connect to my neighbours wifi its amazingly fast :D.

5. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

D*MN - im skrewd then, im getting a macbook and i have a WRT54G in my house :mad: i used to be a windows user and i am switching to mac this month. maybe, i'll just buy the airport extreme, and then connect my 500GB external drive to it along w/ my printer so i can print and use time machine over the network

6. elitree macrumors newbie

Mine works!

Not sure what's up with the other routers in the thread, but I use a WRT54G and it works great with my macbook with WPA2 personal encryption.

I use static IP's on my home network, if that makes a difference....

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've used my CD MacBook with 2 different WRT54G routers and never had a problem.

I'd do a hard/complete/whatever it's called reset and start over. You may have something in the settings that's messing things up. I think that happened to me once, and I finally got it fixed. I can't log into the one I'm using to be any more help, since it's my roommate's.

8. sabregreen macrumors member

I have found that with the newer Vxworks based wrt54g models, some of the settings had to be tweaked, like beacon interval I think and what not. I will look for it and post back what I used that worked perfectly fine. This was for v8 models, so should help with v8 and up and maybe even the version after version 4.