need help with Xmas gift for the GF

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by emt8q5, Dec 20, 2011.

1. emt8q5 macrumors member

hey folks,

Hoping for some tips/tricks here.

I'm dating a girl who went to Regis University. She's a big Jimi Hendrix fan and mentioned a few weeks ago how she wished she had a physical copy of a poster she once saw of a Jimi Hendrix concert that occured at Regis way back when.

I found the poster online here:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YQBsfGwVEeo/TTHZjwqTF6I/AAAAAAAARBA/Y7skQcZYduU/s1600/ji2.jpg

The only problem is the image is low res and not very large. I'd like to print it, frame it and give it to her as a gift. I'm hoping I might get some advice on how best to do that given the size and low quality of the image?

I've got photoshop CS5, but I'm not an expert by any means. What's the best I can do here?

1.) Is this even doable? Will I be able to come up with a color print of this image that is acceptable for framing?

1.) What kind of resampling should I use to enlarge the image to acceptable print size? DPI settings (image is currently @ 72DPI)?

2.) What's the best type of paper to print this on for framing?

3.) Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

2. Raid, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Low quality images don't scale up very well at all, your link is broken (well for me it is...stupid work firewall(?)), but what I'd try is using Tineye to see if you can find the pic in a larger resolution.

If you still want to try scaling on CS5, you might want to do the old 10% bump, where you increase the image by 10% multiple times before getting the size you want... however results may vary.

As for DPI I know 72 would probably not cut it, but I don't know what would. I'm at a loss for paper, but I bet you'd need stock that has a slight gloss to it. Thus concludes the extent of my graphic design knowledge :eek:, maybe somebody else can provide more specifics.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Please print a low quality image if you want her to know that you are cheap.

Go to a poster shop and pay for a poster.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

People place low res images like that on the web just so that people don't do what you are trying to do. The idea is that you place the small image online was an advertisement for printed version. They don't mind if people down load the small image because it's useless.

5. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

6. Gold89 macrumors 6502

Isn't the whole point that it has to be that exact poster from Regis University which the OP has been unable to find elsewhere?

7. TheDrift-, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

There is a version here...looks a bit more original than the one you posted..still not high res though

http://www.sixtiesposters.com/images/hendrix_regis.jpg

Was sold in september for $577

http://www.sixtiesposters.com/September2011prices.htm

EDIT >>>YOU CAN GET A COPY FROM EBAY HERE>>>>>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIMI-HENDRIX-SOFT-MACHINE-DENVER-1968-CONCERT-POSTER-/360400467544

EDIT 2

Just noticed this is the same link heron posted...could have saved a lot of effort if i'd only checked the link....lol will remember for next time!

8. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

heron posted a link to an auction of said poster.

9. emt8q5 thread starter macrumors member

thanks to those folks who were actually trying to be helpful. Order has been placed for the ebay poster, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

To the rest of you, This isn't about being cheap. I was unable to find the poster to purchase, and yes--I was looking for this exact poster. No worries though, because now it's on the way.

Thanks for the help!