Need help xfering intunes to New Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MyMelange, Nov 10, 2008.

1. MyMelange macrumors newbie

Ok, here is the deal.

Just bought a new white macbook (love it and thanks for all your advice here). My BF and I currently have itunes on my PC desktop under one account. Since I have less tunes than the BF- we created a special playlist on that account just for me.

The macbook is mine and I want to transfer ONLY my playlist to the macbook and take it off of the desktop PC- leaving the desktop PC with only the BF songs intact-as that will become his computer.

I wouldn't mind also having my own itunes account on said new macbook to make it easier to manage in the future.

Could someone give me (a non techie) the easiest way to accomplish this.

I have an ipod shuffle, currently loaded with all of the songs in question- about 75 in total.

We tried uploading the contents of the Ipod to the macbook- without success. I was afraid to just transfer them b/c I don't want all of BF thousands of songs on my macbook- and I don't want to erase his from the PC.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!! Hope I haven't confused you :)

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

if it's only 75 songs, burn an MP3 CD with all the music. Alternatively, download Senuti on your Mac and use it to rip the songs from your iPod to your Mac.

3. MyMelange thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to be a dope here- but what is the difference btw an MP3 CD and a regular CD. I did burn a CD of the songs- but not an MP3 CD.

Also- is this Senuti free?

Should I sign up for a separate account in itunes on the macbook before attempting either of these fixes?

Again- Thanks!

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Audio CDs are in a different format, that plays in computers, any CD player, even most DVD players.

Mp3 CDs are just data CDs. The MP3s are on the disk, just like they would be on a hard drive or USB drive. Nowadays, most CD/DVD players come with the ability to read Mp3s, so it's a better way to go.

Audio CD = maybe 20 songs max, depends on their size.

Mp3 CD = 150+ songs, depending on the size of the files.

Senuti is free :D I never used it, so someone else will have to help with that (if you need help that is).

If the mac book is yours, there shouldn't be a problem. If your BF has an iTunes store account, you can also use it on the mac. You will have to open iTunes on the mac, click "Advanced" at the top, and "authorize audible content". If you have the money for mobileme, you can use that as your personal iTunes account.

to transfer music, I would simply.

-open iTunes on the PC
    -insert a CD
    -click on your playlist
    -select "Burn" in the bottom right corner
    -tell it to burn Mp3 CD

then...

-open iTunes on your mac
    -insert CD
    -drag the CD into your iTunes "Music" folder, or into a playlist.

If you drag it into a playlist, it still goes into the "Music" folder, but it will also be added to the playlist. I always import music into a playlist I name "___". I sort through it there.