Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have MS's Office (2004) and I was wondering what will happen to my documents once I delete the no-longer supported suite? If I buy Pages now (is that a good idea?), will those files be able to be edited/opened in the program? I'm still getting everything ready for Lion. Thanks.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have MS's Office (2004) and I was wondering what will happen to my documents once I delete the no-longer supported suite? If I buy Pages now (is that a good idea?), will those files be able to be edited/opened in the program? I'm still getting everything ready for Lion. Thanks.

Nothing will happen to your documents if you delete office. I would however get office 2011 instead of relying on Pages to open these.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States

Steve's Barber said:

Nothing will happen to your documents if you delete office. I would however get office 2011 instead of relying on Pages to open these.

Hmm. The problem is, I don't want to spend that much money. I only need a word-publisher. :(

mbrown90

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Essex UK
I would save them as PDF as this is universal across many programs or .doc although MS office 2011 is quite expensive its worth the money in the long run. As a uni student i find it best for writing large documents over other program/apps as well as knowing i can open any MS files sent to me. Hope this helps :)

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Hmm. The problem is, I don't want to spend that much money. I only need a word-publisher. :(
Then I guess you have a decision on your hands.

If you're merely printing and editing garage sale notices or a poster for you lost dog I'd say go for Pages or even TextEdit for that matter.

If on the other hand... you want the best possible guaranteed compatibility for opening and sharing documents it has to be Microsoft.

And really... $120 for the de-facto office suite? Quite reasonable.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
Then I guess you have a decision on your hands.

If you're merely printing and editing garage sale notices or a poster for you lost dog I'd say go for Pages or even TextEdit for that matter.

If on the other hand... you want the best possible guaranteed compatibility for opening and sharing documents it has to be Microsoft.

And really... $120 for the de-facto office suite? Quite reasonable.
I guess I'll do MS Office '11 then. My work uses Windows, so it makes more sense to go that route. Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.