Need help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by purplekush604, Jul 19, 2012.

1. purplekush604 macrumors member

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this. Anyways we recently got our wedding videos, and are somewhat unhappy. Anyways i received an edited version and a "raw" version. If i want to edit the video myself is it possible with just the "raw" dvd video? Anything else i require? By "raw" i mean just unedited...do i need the actual computer files for editing?
    Thanks in advance

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

In a short answer. If you have little or no editing experience then I think it would take a lot of time and effort to get something better than what you have already been given.

If you provide a few more details as to why you don't like the edit you've received we could possibly give you a better indication of the likelihood of improving.

In answer to your question you can create your own edit from the RAW files but you won't be able to do it off the DVD. You will have to copy this to your hard drive and then import the files into iMovie (I assume that's what you have access to). If iMovie doesn't accept the files at first then they will need to be transcoded to something that works more friendly with iMovie like h.264 or AIC(does this still exist?).

3. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. You're totally right that i wont be able to do a better job. My reasoning is that i'd like to learn video editing, and maybe mix a few things around in video. The quality and sound were fine, basiclly just the scenes he had put together. I dont have the "raw" files, i only have the "raw" dvd. if i transcode them, will the quality be the same? its a high quality dvd, i can also get a bluray "raw" video instead of dvd.

4. WestSt macrumors member

Is the "raw DVD" a data disc (if so, what is the video file format?), or a DVD disc you can play on a regular DVD player? If it's the latter, the files are mpg (most likely transcoded/exported - only some old consumer grade cameras store mpg), which is a delivery format and needs to be re-transcoded to a editing format. Every time you transcode (import/export), you will degrade image qulity.

Just make sure you get the raw files - by that I mean the un-transcoded/un-exported files, like they are straight of the camera. These files will have the best possible qulity, and be your best possible source clips, should you decide to start dabbling with editing.

As a hobbyist you'll probably spend more time on google and forums, then editing when you start out. It can be quite the learning curve depending on what NLE you choose. But when things start to work out, it's just so fun it's more then worth it - have fun:)

5. docx macrumors member

if you decide to edit with iMovie try one of the tutors from the App store.
    This will save you a lot of time and trouble.

6. zyr123 macrumors 6502

Assuming the files are raw avcchd, download clipwrap its a very simple powerful app that converts .mts into most normal conversions.

But other wise it should be very easy edit, its just a matter of converting the footage.

7. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

Its a regular playable dvd, not a data disc, no data files on the dvd. I wouldnt want the quality to diminish, so transcoding it/ripping it might not be a good solution. I'm going to call the video guy today, and see if he would give it to me, i know its 4TB, so its huge. I think it will be a interesting to learn, and maybe ill enjoy it as a hobby

8. WRP macrumors 6502a

4TB? What the hell was he shooting with? We can shoot all day with 5 cameras and it will be less than 1TB.

9. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

They had 2 camera and im not 100% sure as im not too tech savy with cameras, but i believe it was a canon mark 5d or something, i could be wrong but i know it was supppeerrr expensive

10. WestSt macrumors member

Canon 5D MarkIII shoots MPEG-4 AVC / H.264... 4TB would be a crazy amount of footage/hours (someone on this forum is surely able to do the math). Most people don´t have week long weddings with continues video;) Put in other words, the camera records the files to regular SD or CF flash drives, and they would be changing cards every minute if they shot at a bitrate that would end up with 4TB of MPEG-4 AVC / H.264. 4TB of footage is more what you would expect if you shoot uncompressed above HD resolution - we are talking Hollywood.

If he in fact told you it is 4TB, he must be referring to the file size of transcoded editing format, that is after he imported the files - those are not the files you want. You want the MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 files, like they are straight of the flash card from his camera.

Is he perhaps making this seem harder for the novice (you) then it is?

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

HE may have transcoded to Pro Res HQ. That would explain the size and I would have no problems asking for those files personally as that is what I transcode to anyway.

12. purplekush604 thread starter macrumors member

The wedding was almost a week long, it was out of town, and there were events on 4 different days that they video taped. I havent asked him yet, will sunday afternoon