Need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pmaria, Aug 2, 2016.

1. pmaria macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro 15" (mid 2010). I was purchased second hand 2 years ago. All was working well for some time and than it started shutting down without warning. Not very often, once a day, sometimes every few days. I took it to Apple store for testing and they came with a verdict that HD is failing. Well, it happens so HD was replaced with a solid state brand new HD, software restored to factory setting. It took only a few days and it begun shutting down again. Another trip to Apple store and the verdict was all is good no hardware problem. At this point it will shut down every time after sleep mode. There is no pattern. I will shot down right away, after few operations, clicking an icon to do operation or start a program. It will restart automatically by itself creating a report. I made a copy of one of this report and it is attached.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

pmaria

Attached Files:

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Here's another thread that is similar. I had a shut down issue with a 2012 13" MBP that was caused by the accumulation of dust inside. The previous owner said took it to apple to diagnose but they told her it was a motherboard issue. I opened it and it was FULL of dust. Once I cleared out the dust, it worked fine.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-mid-2012-continuously-crashing.1970729/

3. pmaria thread starter macrumors newbie

It is clean inside. Need to add that it happens when run either on battery or on external power supply.

4. MacInTO, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

If you google, GPUPanic.cpp:127, you'll find your problem is your video card.

Good luck!

5. pmaria thread starter macrumors newbie

I just can't believe how Apple is "taking care" of customers. Went again to Apple store yesterday. First of all they had no record of my previous visit with the same issue which was "shutting down". No record I was even there as they were trying to hide that they suggested HD failure instead of doing a recall service. Now the recall is over. They looked at the model (mid 2010) and they said with a smile it's a door stopper as they don't service anything that old. There is no parts. That means they want you to buy new product every 4-5 years. After that you're done. And store customer service people say that with a smile, they don't see a problem in that. They even suggest to sell it and get some money toward a new product which means selling a piece of crap to unsuspecting buyer. All I can say, I'm done with Apple, no more, ever.

6. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I had a shutdown problem that sounds a lot like this one with a MBP as well (can't remember the exact model year, I think 2013). Apple insisted it was water damage, despite the fact that it was quite new and I'd never had it anywhere near liquid. :rolleyes:

I argued with them for a quite while, then gave it to my brother who is an electrical engineer. I forwarded pictures of supposedly water-damaged chips to my brother as well, and he said that when he worked at Line 6 many years ago, they sometimes saw brand new chips that were corroded (bad batches) and looked just like that (an argument the Apple tech wouldn't consider). My brother baked the MBP in the oven (!), and he says it's been working fine ever since.

I'm not suggesting you bake it by any means, but it just goes to show that Apple's customer service isn't always stellar, and the answers you get aren't always right.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

You won't get 6 years out of a laptop on the Windows side of the house. I think you got pretty good use out of it overall. Not sure how you expect Apple to fix this when life continues to move on.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It could be a GPU issue.

Install gfxCardStatus and select "Integrated Only" and see if helps alleviate your problem.

Note: there is a bug with gfxCardStatus, so you have to select gfxCardStatus twice.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The bolded bits from your crash report make me side with tubeexperience and MacInTO. Bad GPU and that thing is probably a goner. :(

Looks like you are outside the recall window on this. (here)

It is worth trying the gfxCardStatus app tubeexperience mentioned. That disables the discrete GPU and can sometimes work.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

5 years is about the expected lifetime of a laptop, so yes I would imagine they do expect you to buy one every 5years or so.

If you think any other vendor is going to give you better service you are sorely mistaken. Not saying that your experience has been good but you would get laughed at if you took a 5-6 year old laptop back to Sony or Samsung or Lenovo.