Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
hi guys....i'm hoping someone here can help me out, i've tried everything short of selling my soul to the apple guys.
yesterday after a restart my mac locked me out of the administrator account turns out there was overlapping data on the HD. i fixed it through the single user mode but ever since then most of the applications i use freeze after 10 minutes or so (Azereus, transmission, disk utility, disk warrior) my life has come to a halt.

any ideas??

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
you might try to re-link your applications. Open up the terminal, and enter this exactly as shown:

sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

hit enter

it'll ask for your admin password, so type that in and hit enter.

after it's done (you'll know it is when the prompt returns), restart the machine.

a brief (very simple) explanation:
your applications don't load all the related files they need all at once, so a lot of those files are "linked" to the applications. It could be that your apps are crashing because they're having a hard time establishing the link to the files they need in order to run properly i.e. they just can't find them. Updating the prebinding will re-establish the links so your apps will know where to look.

it may or may not help, but it's worth a shot.

also, if you haven't done it yet, run disk utility and verify/repair permissions. And you might also want to reset the PRAM.

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
i'll give that a shot, thanks.

thing is i've tries booting up in safe mode and tried booting from the cd tp repair disk everything works fine but when i try and reboot into multi user mode and run applications like disk utility it freezes up. application stops responding i end up force quiting it and restarting the system. have done it atleast 20 times since yesterday.

keep u posted on how it goes with termninal.

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
noted....canadaram

beatsme....tried what you said there was an error:

Welcome to Darwin!
skinnys-p-w-k:~ kenshi$ sudo update_prebinding -root/ -force
Password:
update_prebinding: warning: unknown option -root/

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
i've tried it all without space too same result
skinnys-p-w-k:~ kenshi$ sudo update_prebinding-root/-force
sudo: update_prebinding-root/-force: command not found

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You don't have enough spaces...copy exactly what beatsme suggested.

You're in terrible danger of borking your system even more if you go around inserting and deleting spaces in Terminal commands willy-nilly.

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
i've tried copying it from beatsme.....here what i got till now:

Welcome to Darwin!
skinnys-p-w-k:~ kenshi$ sudo update_prebinding -root/ -force
Password:
update_prebinding: warning: unknown option -root/
skinnys-p-w-k:~ kenshi$ sudo update_prebinding-root/-force
sudo: update_prebinding-root/-force: command not found
skinnys-p-w-k:~ kenshi$ sudo update_prebinding -root / -force
skinnys-p-w-k:~ kenshi$ sudo update_prebinding -root / -force
skinnys-p-w-k:~ kenshi$

with the spaces it doesn't ask me for a password

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
with the spaces it doesn't ask me for a password

hmmm...that could be my fault. I haven't run this command in some time, and I remember being asked for a password, but its entirely possible I'm mistaken.

at any rate, did you run the command? How'd it work?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
hmmm...that could be my fault. I haven't run this command in some time, and I remember being asked for a password, but its entirely possible I'm mistaken.

at any rate, did you run the command? How'd it work?

You've got the command correct, and it definitely should ask for a password...I'm not sure why it's not. It should take a few minutes to run, so if it's immediately giving a prompt after entering it, it's not working. :confused:

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
finally got the prebindings updated.....still no progress, i've just come out of an hour long freeze!!!

Azereus froze on me again

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
i'm lucky the only thing that doesn't freeze is safari even the finder went arctic on me a couple of times.....if only i knew something about macs

thanks guyz really appreciate this.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
i'm lucky the only thing that doesn't freeze is safari even the finder went arctic on me a couple of times.....if only i knew something about macs

thanks guyz really appreciate this.

hmm...did you try to reset the PRAM? Here's how to do it:

restart the computer, and hold down these keys
apple
option
the letter P
the letter R

keep holding the keys down until you've heard the startup chime 4 times. After that, release the keys and let it boot.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
how the heck do you guys all know these crazy commands all the time

:) :D

I was the de facto desktop support guy at my old job. The unwilling dupe, if you will :p You learn stuff like that out of necessity.

also, I'm a big geek :D

kenshi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
London
Guyz thanks to all the help i got here....i've done it. Finally it's running like it should (fingers crossed) no freezes in last 2 hours. turns out one of the external hard disk had bad sectors on it any time the system tried to use that paticular hd it would freeze. formatted the sucker and everything seems to be back to normal. I really appreciate what you guyz have done for me thanks.

cheers!!

try this on..."MacRumors we never leave a man behind"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.