Need Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nadasive, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Nadasive macrumors 6502

Hi Guys, Okay theres a problem here and its driving me nuts.
    I want to reset me Admin Passoword and it hasn't been working.
    I have a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Dueo with 2GB DDR2 SDRAM with 120GB HD, I need to know How I can reset my admin password. This is what I have done so far: I've inserted my Tiger Install Disk, I click on the icon that pops on desktop, then Click on 'Install Mac OS X', that takes me to the big X saying Click restart to boot as disk... Well guess what, I click restart and it asks for a password. I keep the CD in my Drive and turn off Laptop. I restart holding Option button and click on the CD thats in it and screen goes black and stays black. The Computers on (you can hear fans) and there is no Screen Problems. I left it on the black screen for 15-20 Min. and nothing happened...
    i've already bought 4 different Install Cd's.
    Do I have to take it to Apple Store and for them to do it?? I don't want to take it to apple store because I know They will charge me and if I can do it for free, why not take the chance..

Any help would be awesome, Thanks

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Have you tried going to System Preferences, clicking Accounts, select the account's password you want to change, and click Change Password?

3. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I'm sorry, I left out something very important... I forgot my password. :(

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

5. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

the lock is locked, and when I click on the lock to unlock it asks for a password.. I think i made my security Hardcore cause it asks for password everytime I want to install a new version of iTunes or do Software Update.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Use the link I provided above!! .. You need to reboot the computer with the OS X CD and then you can reset the password.

7. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay it seems you dont understand. I can't boot from CD. I put in the CD and where it says click 'restart to boot from CD', i click on the button and it asks for a password. . . I don't think I can say it in another way.. ..
    it aks for a password for about everything.

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

No I think that YOU don't understand .. have you looked at the link I provided above?

You need to Hold the C key as the computer starts and then follow the rest of the instructions provided in the link above.

9. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try right now

10. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I copied the instructions from the link I provided.

Cheers.
    ----------

Resetting the original administrator account password

Follow these steps to reset a password when there is only one administrator account on the computer, or if the original administrator account (of several) needs a password reset. "Original" administrator account refers to the one that was created immediately after installing Mac OS X. If the original administrator password is known, the original administrator user may reset the passwords of other administrator accounts using the steps described above.

1. Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). You should first disable Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.

2. Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.

3. Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.

4. Set the user name of your original administrator account.
    Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

5. Enter a new password.

6. Click Save.

12. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you look at my link please and tell me if it will work. . . .
    I appreciate the Information your giving me but its not working.

13. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

OK ... Anyone else have a solution? I think I'm providing the correct instructions. Am I wrong? If so, can someone else help this guy?

Cheers.

14. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

If you guys are stuck with this also
    I got a way to change the password without using mac os x install cd
    Note it works with macbooks only.

First what you want to do is turn of your computer, while starting hold :apple: and S at the same time so a black screen with lots of words comes, on first line type: sh /etc /rc (without : ) press enter and wait. After its done (you can't miss it) type: passwd usseraccount ( only in this part don't touch the passwd part, just replace useraccount with your user account ) it asks for a password, type in whatever you can remember and then it asks for a verification, after thats done type in reboot and your set.. .. :)