Need HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by levier, Nov 3, 2009.

1. levier macrumors newbie

First of let me tell you that I have never used a Mac computer.
    I don't know what I did but every time I put a CD to watch a movie or even to listen to music the CD/DVD driver tell me that the medium is empty.
    Then, when I connect a usb device FAT or Mac H... it gives me the following error "Disk Insertion - The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" and this are the option it gives me "Initialize Ignore or Eject"
    I have G-3/MacFusion on the computer which I try to uninstall so I can get the new one of the G-3 Website and I thought that by taking the icon in the System preferences and trashing it will be sufficient, but I guess not. After that I wasn't able to see any of my external hard drives.
    My Spotlight isn't working anymore either.
    I feel desperate because I never use this machine before and I don't know what to do.
    Could you please help me?
    PS: and one more thing, I used to have Paragon installed in the machine and I got rid of it but every time I boot the machine a pop up appears asking me to buy it.

Thank you,
    Levier

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sounds like 10.3 to me.

are you sure that the hard disk you plug in is FAT32, or is it NTFS? macs can read/write FAT32.

not sure about the movies/music DVDs/CDs. perhaps a screen shot would help us out?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How annoying! Is it listed under  -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items?

5. levier thread starter macrumors newbie

Need Help

I got a Mac Book Pro OS X 10.5.8.
    As you can see in the images. My spotlight isn't working, my cd/dvd driver keeps telling me that I inserted a blank disk, macfuse and 3-g no longer work, the paragon keeps poping back even though I check mark not to dispay it again and now I keep getting this other message every time I reboot.

Any Ideas on how to fix this without re-installing OX?

Attached Files:

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Use 'Find' under the Finder 'File' menu and check for anything related to Paragon and trash it and delete it again.

If it's listed here, as BlueRevolution asks, uncheck it and reboot to see if it goes away:

Attached Files:

• gra.jpg
      gra.jpg
      File size:
      115.4 KB
      Views:
  7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, select it and click the – button at the bottom. Unchecking just affects its behaviour on startup but doesn't prevent it from opening.

8. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Thanks, Blue. I need to pay attention; meant to write 'delete'.

One more thing. Did you use 'Verify Disk' for your DVD drive in 'Disk Utility' as shown here?

Attached Files:

• bk.jpg
      bk.jpg
      File size:
      117.9 KB
      Views:
  9. levier thread starter macrumors newbie

10. levier thread starter macrumors newbie

when I got to disk utility and I highlight the driver, no options are given. By the way, how did you get a picture of your screen and post it?

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Command+shift+3 to take a picture of the whole screen to a file on your desktop, and command+shift+4 to select a part of the screen.

12. levier thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, my MBP is back and running at almost full speed again.
    It cost $300 to get it fix.
    For all of you who offered their help, thank you.
    I don't know exactly what they did at Servall, it's a company here in Vaughan, Ontario. Canada. That work with MAC It servers for big companies and they also do some small work for individuals like me.
    All I know is that after 2 days the called me and gave me the news that everything was back to normal without having to re-formated.
    Once I got home I tried all of my programs and everything seem to work but they look a bit different from the time I have taking it to them.
    Example: my safari was 4.0 before and when I got it, it was 3.0.2 or 1. I can't remember and my iLife needed to be re-activated.
    So I run all of the up dates from the Apple website and after 30 minutes I was up and running like new again. I'm still experimenting and I hope not to mess it up again.
    Take care,
    Levier
    PS: if an external Mac hard drive it's configure to NTFS, would Firewire 800 run slow or its performance will remain?

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

glad to hear that its working :D

it sounds as if they just deleted some software and reinstalled the older versions. very unprofessional but at least it is still working!

the formatting of the external hard disk will not effect its performance. just beware that OSX does not have write permissions to NTFS drives, it only has read permissions.

14. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's "affect", and Mac OS X is only read-only without additional drivers. Assuming the OP can get NTFS-3G working again, FireWire 800 should work just fine.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thanks mum! ;)

forgot he had NTFS-3G! it will be perfectly fine :D