Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...okay, if you've booted from the cd and you see your hard drive on the desktop, there's a few things you can do - look in the applications dir and find the folder for the program you installed and then see if it made a log file which will tell you all the files it put and where it put them - then delete them. Or try launching the installer again - there may be an "uninstall" option. Also try running disk utility and checking your drive for errors and repairing permissions.....oh yeah!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You can use Single User Mode to boot into and delete things, but if you don't know what you're looking for and you don't know the command line, forget it.

You could also try Safe Mode, which should load only Apple kernel extensions. To do this, boot holding down Shift. Once (if) you can log in, run the uninstaller for NetBarrier X.

Don't download and install illegal software. You don't know where that stuff came from, who has been playing with it, what is missing or added. Don't put it in your mouth. And it's illegal. A lot of frenchman worked very hard, smoking cigarettes, eating cheese, drinking wine, writing proof on concept viruses and then 'magically' finding them (our heroes!), to bring NetBarrier X to the public! Johnny Highschooler shouldn't be stealing it. And it's illegal.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....and to add...if worse comes to worse and it doesn't get fixed, you can reinstall the os using the "archive and install" option which creates a new system for you but leaves your users and files intact (and keeps your old system too in a folder called "previous system folder" which you can delete once you are up and running and verified that everyhting is working properly again)...oh yeah!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
yellow said:
Don't download and install illegal software. You don't know where that stuff came from, who has been playing with it, when is missing or added. Don't put it in your mouth. And it's illegal. A lot of frenchman worked very hard, smoking cigarettes, eating cheese, drinking wine, writing proof on concept viruses and then 'magically' finding them (our heroes!), to bring NetBarrier X to the public! Johnny Highschooler shouldn't be stealing it. And it's illegal.
Duff-Man says...ha, you beat me to it. I was going to wait until the guy was up and running again before giving the lecture, hoping he has learned his lesson. Part of me didn't even want to try and help at all, and just respond with - you installed pirated software and now you got what you deserved....oh yeah

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Whew! The experts have stepped in. You're in good hands, JzzTrump22 - I have to go to bed.

But heed their advice - installing illegal software is not only, well, illegal, it is risky. It's like buying heroin from... oh, never mind. I'm too tired to try and be sarcastic.

Good luck. And good night.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
JzzTrump22, please let us know if you've gotten your PB "back".

Hopefully, you've learned a bit of a lesson - and about backing up as well as things mentioned above. Good luck. I'd lecture more, but I think it's been said better than I could already (above), and I don't think there's any reason to kick you while you're down. Do the same thing again, though, and you might get more grief.... ;)

Seriously, though, good luck.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I managed to delete the program and all it's contents while i had the cd in, but i wasn't booted from it. It's wierd, it didn't tell me to restart for about 2 minutes, so i was able to get rid of it. I just wanted to say thatnks for all your help. I'd be totally lost without you mac geniuses, that probably goes for the entire board as well. Thanks!

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
<don't know if this has been posted, but..>

Holding shift from the moment you boot up your computer disables any extensions that are not vital.

You'll know that it's worked when you see the text "Safe Boot" under the starting mac os x text.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
grabberslasher said:
<don't know if this has been posted, but..>

Holding shift from the moment you boot up your computer disables any extensions that are not vital.

You'll know that it's worked when you see the text "Safe Boot" under the starting mac os x text.
Thanks for the tip - I knew it'd work when logging on to disable start-up items, hadn't heard about it while booting.

And, JzzTrump22 - glad to hear you're Mac's back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.