Need help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xpsm1730, Jul 18, 2010.

1. xpsm1730 macrumors regular

Ok - I've been on this all day and need some help.

Had a 3G on 4.0 unlocked. Was too slow so decided to downgrade.

Successfully downgraded to 3.1 and jailbroke - but phone won't backup as the backup was taken on 4.0

So now I'm trying to hactivate with the 4.0 ipsw. but it's stuck on the 'downloading jailbrake data' part and is not moving forward. It's been over 5 minutes.

What do i do? :confused:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot restore a 4.0 iphone backup to an old firmware 3.+ device.
    Just restore to whatever official firmware you want to use and then use redsnow to JB it.

3. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand you? I'm not trying to restore.

Anyway - the phone is currently back on 3.1 but I cannot get all my data/contacts from the backup- as the backup was taken when the phone was on 4.0

So I'm trying to run redsnow with the 4.0 ipsw. so the phone gets back to 4.0 and then i can get my data back from the backup.

But it's stuck when i try to use redsnow+4.0ipsw

When i start itunes to restore from backup i get this msg

" To restore Iphone from backup you must first set up the iPhone as new and restore the software to the latest version"

Should I do this? If i setup as new won't i lose all the data thats on backup?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but you can restore from backup again on itunes at any time you want.

5. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok . here is the deal.

It's now back on 3.1 and is unlocked and working fine.

Problem is I don't see my apps or contacts - the backup was taken when it was on 4.0

If I setup as new - will it automatically go to 4.0.1? (isn't that latest) and can I then JB+Unlock and retrieve my data from backup?

Thanks a lot

6. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Also - I want to use it on 3.1 as its MUCH faster and doesn't lag - but I want my contacts back :(

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, if you setup as new none of your stuff will be there and it will not update it to 4.0.1
    If you chose restore from backup try to find an old backup image that wasnt saved with 4.0 software. Click the little arrow button to select other older backup restore points.

8. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

I clicked the arrow - there are no other backup points.

So you are saying If I go ahead with this " To restore Iphone from backup you must first set up the iPhone as new and restore the software to the latest version" - it will update to 4.0 but will erase all my data/contacts?

If that is so then I'm fked either way - can't get them on this 3.1 as there is no 3.1 restore point (strangely) and if I setup as new to 4.0 then itunes will delete my backed up file?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You are pretty much SOL if you only have 1 backup on file and thats only compatible with 4.0+
    You can upgrade to 4.0 and then restore to that backup only. 3.1 wont work with it.
    Or you can transfer you contacts to adress book when you're on 4.0 and restored to that backup.
    And then downgrade to 3.1 again and sync your contacts back thru itunes from address book to your iphone.

10. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I copy the contacts to an address book?

11. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

IF the phone is on 4.1 --- can I think backup with the 4.0 file?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Right there.
    You can sync to address book, to outlook etc...
    So once you transfer your contacts there you can then sync them back again later by selecting the info tab when your iphone is plugged into itunes.

[​IMG]

13. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect, thanks.

phone2 isn't backing up - its my brothers and maybe will only work oh his laptop as it's always been on that?

Please tell me if I continue with setting up my phone as new will itunes delete my old backup file?

Thanks

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, itunes will not delete any of your backups by setting it as new.

15. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

OK - I setup as a new phone. Now when I right click and go 'restore from backup' I dont see the old backup file.

Is this because the old file was on 4.0 and the phone is currently on 3.1? If I upgrade again to 4.0 will that file be visible?

FML

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Open up itunes and go to edit/preferences/devices and all available backup should be displayed there.

17. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Just did that - can only see a backup that itunes took right now when I setup as new.

Cant see any previous backups.

Again - is this because it's currently on 3.1? If i upgrade to 4.0.1 will the previous backups show then?

Thanks again

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they should all be displayed there.
    Did you have it synced with any other computer also?
    Maybe it overwritten your old 3.0 backups with the 4.0

19. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

They are not there. There is only 1 file with this morning's date on it.

So does this mean my previous backup has been deleted? How could this happen? I backed up the phone before I started downgrading - where could the file be? Is there anyway I can retrieve the contacts?

This sux

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, it does suck but seems like thats all there is.
    You can update to 4.0 and restore from that backup available.
    Then copy/sync your contacts to address book or outlook or any other program.
    Then downgrade again to 3.1 and sync them back thru itunes by going to that info tab and selecting the place they were synced to.
    Thats the only way I would think.

21. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

No you don't get it -- the only backup available is the one created this morning.

It was created when I went ahead with 'setup as new phone'

Before I setup as new phone itunes showed my previous 4.0 backup. I obviously couldn't use it - and as suggested on here went ahead with setup as new phone - once i did that - the 4.0 backup has vanished.

How is this poss?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you only have 1 backup file thats compatible with 3.+ or 4.0+ firmware?
    And what version you want your iphone to be in and transfer back your contacts?
    Im saying restore to the iphone version that works for that particular backup and then copy/sync your contacts to address book or any other place like outlook etc..
    Then you can sync them back thru that info tab no matter what firmware you're on.

23. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

OK let me explain this better.

I was on 4.0 - I decided to downgrade.

I backed up my phone while on 4.0 and then began downgrade.

Downgraded and unlocked successfully. Plugged phone in and itunes had just one option to restore from backup - that option was the one i backedup on 4.0 before i started the downgrade.

Of course - i could not backup from that as that was on 4.0 and I am now on 3.1 (I didn't know this before I started downgrading)

So - as guided on here I went ahead with 'setup as new phone to restore from backup' - itunes then setup as new phone and took a backup in that process.

Now - the only backup I see in preferences is the one itunes took when I went ahead with setup as new phone. I am currently on 3.1 and I cannot see any previous backups.

-

Does this mean all my stuff is lost?