Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
I myself do not have an iPhone yet, but am looking into buying one. My one concern is should I wait or not. After reading through posts on here and other sites, there just seems to be some things that a lot of people are crying out for to be updated and either the 2.0 update is fixing it or the iPhone2 will be the solution.

The two things I've seen that seem to be the major problem is, no 3g and no MMS. At release I'm sure the phone was just awesome to have after a few minor software updates or whatever...but now...3 months into 2008 and 3-4 months until the expected 2.0 update, there are two routes I am debating on.

1. Wait for the 2.0 update to see if there is news of the iPhone2 - the problem there is, IF the iPhone2 is announced, then after waiting 3-4 months for an answer, it would be silly not to wait another few months to get the new and improved...so now I've spent half a year or more with contemplating and no iPhone!

2. Buy an iPhone now and hope that either, the iPhone2 isn't released until late 2008, or, that AT&T/Apple give a rebate/upgrade discount for the new phone.

What are you all's opinions on this? I'm new to all this iPhone talk, and hoping that some "seasoned pros" like you guys could give some helpful insight.

Thanks!

NurseChris

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
I myself do not have an iPhone yet, but am looking into buying one. My one concern is should I wait or not. After reading through posts on here and other sites, there just seems to be some things that a lot of people are crying out for to be updated and either the 2.0 update is fixing it or the iPhone2 will be the solution.

The two things I've seen that seem to be the major problem is, no 3g and no MMS. At release I'm sure the phone was just awesome to have after a few minor software updates or whatever...but now...3 months into 2008 and 3-4 months until the expected 2.0 update, there are two routes I am debating on.

1. Wait for the 2.0 update to see if there is news of the iPhone2 - the problem there is, IF the iPhone2 is announced, then after waiting 3-4 months for an answer, it would be silly not to wait another few months to get the new and improved...so now I've spent half a year or more with contemplating and no iPhone!

2. Buy an iPhone now and hope that either, the iPhone2 isn't released until late 2008, or, that AT&T/Apple give a rebate/upgrade discount for the new phone.

What are you all's opinions on this? I'm new to all this iPhone talk, and hoping that some "seasoned pros" like you guys could give some helpful insight.

Thanks!

Do a search for your answers, about 3 people have asked that question today alone. Helpful advice given.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Buy it!! There's no reason to wait!

P.S. Moderators: Is there a way to block all future "Should I wait or should I buy" threads?? Or maybe have an auto-response bot programmed to respond how I just did, automatically???

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
Well thank you for the two responses. One thing I don't understand is why people have to be like this...I mean if you are annoyed by these types of posts - DON'T RESPOND. It's as simple as that right?

I thought forums like these were for people to come together and share ideas and provide some help for one another...I guess I was wrong.

I like answers that are tailored to my questions, not someone else's who might have asked a similar question, because then I have to make assumptions on whether or not it fully answers what I'm looking for. I rather ask myself and get some honest answers from people who are WILLING to help. If you aren't willing, then move on.

Thanks again.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
You're taking my post the wrong way. The first part was directed at you and was completely sincere. There is no reason to wait because the iPhone the way it is now is an amazing piece of technology and unlike other phones out there, it has the potential to be added upon and get better. The way I see it, the 2.0 firmware upgrade is coming in late June and the new hardware model of the phone won't be released for some time after that. If you wait for the iPhone 2, you're going to be missing out on all of the excitement of the new FW update and all the apps being available for download.

I'm sorry if I came off as rude and I hope my elaboration of my short response helped out with your decision/made you feel better. Cheers! :D

NurseChris

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
You're taking my post the wrong way. The first part was directed at you and was completely sincere. There is no reason to wait because the iPhone the way it is now is an amazing piece of technology and unlike other phones out there, it has the potential to be added upon and get better. The way I see it, the 2.0 firmware upgrade is coming in late June and the new hardware model of the phone won't be released for some time after that. If you wait for the iPhone 2, you're going to be missing out on all of the excitement of the new FW update and all the apps being available for download.

I'm sorry if I came off as rude and I hope my elaboration of my short response helped out with your decision/made you feel better. Cheers! :D

Yeah, I second that, get one, what have you got to lose!

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
Thanks guys...I have been leaning towards just going for it, because like you said, what is there to lose?!

I was just a little frustrated hehe :) But no you weren't being rude. My apologies.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I really dont understand the infatuation with 3G, it doesn't 'do' anything that EDGE doesn't! As for MMS, if you want/need it then don't buy an iPhone.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'm not going to say that I don't see the appeal of 3G, but Edge has always been sufficient for me. It's definitely no reason to wait to buy an iPhone. If you take a step back and think for a second, it's a phone. Not a laptop. Expecting lightning fast internet with flash on a phone seems kinda... well, stupid to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.