Need hely buying new Macbook Pro 2015 15in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evry1lovej, Mar 8, 2017.

1. evry1lovej macrumors newbie

Here are my options:

Storage 512, 1TB($400)
    CPU 2.7, 2.9(+$200)
    Raedon 455, Raedon 460($100).

Which configuration should I get? Is it worth 200 extra dollars for a .2Ghz? Or even 1TB vs 512GB?

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Do you need the extra storage or not? You can't really upgrade it later so if you're going to use it, do it now.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

What do you think you might need the upgrades for?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "Which configuration should I get? Is it worth 200 extra dollars for a .2Ghz? Or even 1TB vs 512GB?"

My answer to both of those questions would be "no, it's not worth it".

But... your needs may be different than mine. And you may not care about the money involved.

I bought a new 2015 13" (8gb/256gb) MBPro last December not long after the 2016 models were introduced. I paid $1,189 shipped. I considered that a very good price, and it suits my needs well.

5. darksithpro, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

darksithpro macrumors regular

The CPU will be the least of your worries, as a few hundred mhz will be irrelevant for average use. You should focus on maxing out components that you won't be able to upgrade later on. Hard drive space fills up very fast. After you load up MS office, Adobe, a few movies, games, and then some music even 512gb will seem small...

6. generationfourth macrumors newbie

generationfourth

I wouldn't worry about CPU, or even the video card. If you needed either you would know by now.

512 gb is plenty of space for "modern" usage:
    • Using iCloud Drive/dropbox
    • Primarily streaming music/movies instead of downloading
    • Storing large files, photos, videos, movies on a fast portable external
    I did some reading around and there are even developers who partitioned and run windows on a 256gb machine and do fine with that much storage.

I just ordered a 256gb 15" mbp (got a really good price) and with some adjustments I think I'll do just fine. And I do have a ton of files: 700gb+ photo library, 20gb iCloud photos, Adobe CS, sketch, and other graphics files for numerous clients.

7. evry1lovej thread starter macrumors newbie

THANKS GUYS! If there's anymore suggestion please let me know! I'll be gaming, college, photo shop and what not so I mean shoot me your opinions of if there's any other laptop suggestion. WHY DIDNT THEY MAKE THIS ONE 5K DISPLAY
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    I'm confused on the GB for graphic cards. Is that just like memory, graphics?

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Yeah 5K would've been awesome but if it were me I'd get the speed bump tbh. I don't need more storage heck I only use like 60 gigs so a 256 is plenty for me. I don't need good graphics either all I do is mail, calendar, calculator, messages, reminders, youtube, like that.

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

For gaming the 460 will be worth it, though keep in mind the MBP isn't a great machine for gaming anyway. If that's important for you to do portably, you should look at a Windows machine. There ones specifically for gaming, and you can do everything else on them too, but there are tradeoffs, including size and weight, running hotter and louder, worse battery life, and build quality for some.

I don't think the other upgrades would matter much for your use. Keep photos or whatever you aren't working on in an external drive.

You wouldn't see any difference with a 5K display unless you got up really close. That's the point of a "retina" screen--it's designed to have as much detail as your eye can resolve at a normal distance. You can drive two 5K external monitors with the MBP, though. They're bigger, so you can see the extra detail.