Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Nightflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
Here’s the deal: I’m trying to build a Hackintosh/Mac Mod/whatever.

It’s going into the empty case for a Mac SE.

Originally, I took the logic board from an iBook G4 with a bad display, installed that in the case, and installed the trackpad module in the top of the SE – it’s pretty cool.

Unfortunately, the board failed - probably something to do with the big gynormous crack running through it severing several traces - so I need to do something else. But I still want to use the trackpad, which as I said is now part of the case.

So here’s the thing. When it was the G4 logic board, I could wire the trackpad direct to the board, using the connectors that came with it. Obviously that’s not an option, so I’m going to need to splice it to a USB cable.

But I don’t know which wire goes where or does what.

that’s why I need some sort of schematic or diagram indicating what each wire corresponds to in a USB cable - so I can connect them.

Obviously, this plan is all blown if there is no such way to do that, or if there are different requirements- power, etc - between A USB cable and the trackpad wiring. But one thing at a time.

So there it is. Does anyone by chance have or know where to find that info?

thank

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Here’s the deal: I’m trying to build a Hackintosh/Mac Mod/whatever.

It’s going into the empty case for a Mac SE.

Originally, I took the logic board from an iBook G4 with a bad display, installed that in the case, and installed the trackpad module in the top of the SE – it’s pretty cool.

Unfortunately, the board failed - probably something to do with the big gynormous crack running through it severing several traces - so I need to do something else. But I still want to use the trackpad, which as I said is now part of the case.

So here’s the thing. When it was the G4 logic board, I could wire the trackpad direct to the board, using the connectors that came with it. Obviously that’s not an option, so I’m going to need to splice it to a USB cable.

But I don’t know which wire goes where or does what.

that’s why I need some sort of schematic or diagram indicating what each wire corresponds to in a USB cable - so I can connect them.

Obviously, this plan is all blown if there is no such way to do that, or if there are different requirements- power, etc - between A USB cable and the trackpad wiring. But one thing at a time.

So there it is. Does anyone by chance have or know where to find that info?

thank
I do not have the schematic. However, I'm pretty sure the track pad is ADB based, not USB.

Reactions: The Nightflyer

The Nightflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
Well, that narrows it down. I just had a look at the Apple Desktop Bus page in Wikipedia; it has a diagram of the ADB plug, identifies the wires, etc.

So, next question would be, which wire in the trackpad corresponds to which wire in the ADB? I figure I'll need to connect them to an actual ABD connector, and from there to an ADB/USB adapter.

So, any ideas on which wire is which? BTW, my electronic testing resources are one inexpensive multimeter I bought at Radio Shack back when there was such a thing, and that's it.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.