Need Ideas BESIDES $100+ Recovery Software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by taiga, Jan 25, 2008.

1. taiga macrumors newbie

So I was sifting through some old garageband projects on my computer and in the midst of listening to a rather long improvisation I found about 2 minutes of the track I wanted to elaborate on. In hindsight I should have, at that point, cut out the short little organ interlude and started a new project with it, but without thinking I just started adding tracks and recording and editing until the idea turned into a full-fledged song with 6 or 7 tracks. When I was finally finished and wanted to send the song to itunes, I quickly remembered that I'd made this song in the middle of an old recording, and there was about 10-15 minutes of material on either side that I wanted to keep. So I split the song from the two ends, copied the end on the left side, opened a new project, pasted it in there, saved it, and then did the same with the right. Saved it AND closed it, then opened up the original project which now simply had the song on it, polished it up just a little, and sent it to itunes.

At this point I had only itunes, garageband, and safari running and NOTHING else, but my year old macbook has been running oddly slow despite the fact that I've only filled 17GB of the 60GB hard drive and have LESS applications than originally came with it, and never run more than those 3 apps at a time (thinking of taking it to the apple store for...questioning). Anyway, Safari froze. I was just browsing wikipedia! I had to force quit, and as soon as I did garageband "unexpectedly" closed. When I opened it up again, and opened the project that had those two leftovers from the original project, the left one was still there, but the one on the right, "Recording #2", was gone.

It was a really cool recording - my friend and I fiddling around on an organ and a double bass for 20 minutes. Tell me how I can get the end half of it back, anybody!

2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Well, firstly find out if it is really gone. Search the folder where the file was stored and see if it is still there (but not from within your music recording program.) If it is not, try the trial version of Data Rescue. You can recover a file I believe with the trial version. Anyhow, perhaps your hard drive is going bad in which case you may not be able to get the file back because the portion of the drive containing that file may be physically damaged. Also, perhaps a hard drive failure is the cause of your slowness. To check for sure, consider backing up your entire drive onto an external HD (which I highly recommend regardless) and then wiping your drive and reinstalling the OS and your programs (or simply duping your hard drive back to your internal using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.)

Good luck.

3. taiga thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find these core files for garageband that you speak of. I'm not quite sure where to look...

Also, I'm almost certain I've lost and won't be able to find my install disc. That means I'm screwed in that case, doesn't it?

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Buy a new install disc off ebay. You can't survive long without an install disc. As for where the files are, they should be in Username/Music/Garageband.

5. taiga thread starter macrumors newbie

So hey, guess what? Now this problem not only happens when I cut and paste recordings into new projects, but even when I COPY and paste into new projects. Also it'll occur for NO REASON WHATSOEVER - Yep, in the middle of playback a certain track will simply stop making sound and DISAPPEAR.

I might as well give up on music with this useless program. Do Apple stores generally repair "damaged" hard drives for free? And just for my own knowledge, can anyone tell me what it means for a hard drive to be "damaged" when the computer has been kept in mint condition and one hasn't ever done anything to overload, overwork, or fill up the hard drive at all?

6. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

7. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

A hard drive is a highly precise, detailed mechanical device. As such, it is subject to failure at any time. A certain percentage of all new drives will fail in short order. It is simply the nature of the beast and has nothing to do with the computer the hard drive is sitting in. You simply got unlucky perhaps (if your drive is in fact the problem.) All users need to have backup for this very reason.