Need ideas for creating an online private community

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cloud9, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

I am a wedding photographer working in the twin cities. I am attempting to create a formal back-up network for other wedding photographers in the area. I want to have an online resource for this to work. I need a place photographers can post their days available and unavailable on something that looks visually like a calander. I also want a forum around it where people can post messages. I would be the main moderator with master privileges and the network would be private where I approve and invite members to join. What is available out there for this to work. Ideally it would be free.

Thanks

Barclay

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Have you looked into Google Groups?

http://groups.google.com/

I'm not sure about the calendar, but I think it will do pretty much everything else. Everyone would need a gmail account however (I think).

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can .mac handle the calendar? I don't know much about .mac, but I swear I've seen something about a single calendar that numerous people can edit as though it was a group project. Maybe it was another company's product. Not sure.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I think .Mac would work fine, except for that it is $100 US/year, which is quite far from "free".

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And yet it's really still peanuts from a cost perspective. This is a business expense. Even if he got himself a domain name, it would still be quite cheap.

Get a .mac package off eBay, and you'll be spending even less.

6. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, It's gotta be free.

Any heard of this before?