Need ideas for short to medium length movie!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jarres, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jarres macrumors newbie

I need some ideas for a short to medium movie. It can't involve a lot of people, and it has to be a movie that i can do with limited equipment. I need it to have some action and comedy in it. It needs to look proffesional.

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Try using some life experiences or deciding what audience you wish to aim at...

Take into account your audience's;
    comedy style preferred (satire, mocumentary etc.)
    what kind of action would interest your desired audience (violence, chase scenes etc.)

I would also recommend not trying to do something better than your equipment... If it's going to look like a home movie keep it along those lines (Cloverfield did this to great effect).

Finally... If you're not an ideas person or a script writer get someone else to do that! You concentrate on the shots - storyboard their ideas and script into something that you can film. All major problems that occur in any tv/film environment can be solved in pre-production so make sure you plan well! Bad weather, poor actors, lack of direction etc. are all things that can be eliminated from affecting the production as long as you prepare for it.

Good luck!

3. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

Can it be an animation? 2D or 3D doesn't matter. I wonder why we don't see animated features more often. Alas. The scope that animation has for drama is broad. Just look at the Japanese stuff.

You have more control over subtle things like colour, weather, time period, timing of elements in the frame, stuff like that.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I see that this is your first post here at MacRumors Forums and would like to be the first to welcome you. I hope we can suggest some ideas for scripts and answer any questions and problems you may have.
    There are websites like Simply Scripts and IMSDb that have unproduced sections where there are short, medium length, and full length scripts available. You will have to contact the writer(s) to modify or produce the script and they will probably want some money. If you are going to make a profit off of the movie it may be a good option if you are not an ideas person.

Regards,
    David

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Cool, I didn't know about these. I tried to help spread your advice a bit:
    http://twitter.com/R1i/status/1094804771

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't know how much expertise you have, but I've always wanted to do this ... but I have no talent.

Anyways, read the short story "Prey" by Richard Matheson. He's the writer of "I Am Legend". It's included in the "I Am Legend" book.

There's action and what I would call, "dark" humor. You could do that story for your movie.

Anyways, I don't know copyright laws and such, so you might be out of luck ... but you could always do a movie that's inspired by "Prey".

ft

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Just make sure you tell them that they have to contact the writer before taking any steps in production. Otherwise if the writer wants ungodly amounts of money it will be a waste of their time to take steps in production.

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

There are copyright laws when producing a a book or novel. You'll have to talk to a lawyer for more detail. So be careful about what you do.