Need iMac 27" Screen Replaced

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zach Schible, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Zach Schible, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

Zach Schible macrumors member

Zach Schible

So my 27" i7 iMac from last year has some pretty annoying blotching on the LCD. It's not noticeable with a dark screen but when viewed with lighter colors it shows up pretty well. As a photographer this was extremely annoying when editing as I kept trying to edit my photos for dust spots when it was just my computer.

So I was wondering? Has anyone of you had this problem and secondly what is apple most likely to do when I take it in to the Apple Store? Will they replace the machine entirely or just the LCD. My biggest concern is that I'm not able to be without my computer so I hope that they can just give me a new one or at least a temporary machine until mine is fixed.

Thanks for any input or experiences you can share!

Attached Files:

2. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I am assuming you are under warranty or applecare. Try to locate an authorized apple repair center. Call them. Tell them you want to bring in your iMac so that they can determine the defect on the screen and so that they can order the screen replacement (technically they have to have the unit to order the parts, but some work with you if they can clearly see the defect and will order the part).

Arrange with them to do the screen replacement while you wait once the part arrives. If the authorized center refuses try another one.

3. Zach Schible thread starter macrumors member

Zach Schible

Yes I have apple care. Thanks for the response.

4. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

I have same problem with 21.5in iMac

I had exactly the same issue, I thought it was dust or dirt behind the screen first, removed the front cover and all marks were clearly visible on LCD panel - this was on a late 2009 model that at the time was less than six months old.

Basically, under warranty, its gone in to have its LCD panel replaced - too me it looked like b
    'burn-in' or heat burn from behind the panel, it may also just be dirt, but, best just get it replaced if covered by Apple Warranty or Apple Care - unfortunately, it takes over a week to get your machine back.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

That's awful, and you see it (or a variation of it) all the time on here, it's really making me question whether to buy a new iMac or not.

6. Bat6111 macrumors member

Bat6111

I had that once and got it replacement for a new machine. They told me to set turn the screen off when i'm not using it after 10 mins.

7. Entourage12 macrumors member

Did this actually help? I remember when I was getting my yellowing screen replaced the Apple Genius was shocked that I wasn't a smoker, said he'd never seen a screen like that when the owner wasn't a smoker.

But based on the responses from people here i'd be surprised if it was related at all, some come out of the box yellow.

8. leehal macrumors member

I have had the same issue with my 21" 09 iMac, in for the 2nd time repaired under warranty - not impressed.

9. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Suffered the same issue on my 27" Late 2009 iMac. Got the screen replaced but Apple's line was "we consider this to be an environmental issues and therefore we will only replace the screen this one time only" - I keep my iMac in a very good state and refuted such an "accusation". Talking with the senior Executive Care representative at the time they said, in not so many words, that they also thought this stance was some what unreasonable. It is clearly a design flaw witn the LCD array not being isolated from the innards of the computer - wether its caused by heat generated by the GPU or wether it's dust particles dragged in by the fans I'm not sure?

I now have a mid 2011 iMac, I'll be interested if the same happens with this one.